IBC Code: Complete Overview and Drafting Workshop. Register Now!

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Gaurav Kumar (It)     17 July 2020

Can a single mother apply for sukanya samridhi yoajana?

Respected Members,

I have an important query here. It has been 8 years passed of my sister marraige and due to non compatibility and daily disputes finally she leaved her husband in Dec 2019 and living with us. We have nor started any legal procedeure yet due to some family reasons.. But We will start it soon in 2020 itself.

She wants to be sperated with her husband. And as I said we will start the procedure very soon. My sister have a daughter and she is 3.7 years old. To keep their future secure and financially dood, I want to get enrolled my  sister's daughter for Sukanya Samridhi Yojana. It will definately help her in the future as a financial support.

I want to get enrolled in this Yojana for my sister's daughter but I am concerned about the legal formalities that needs to be performed. It is preety clear that she wants to be seperated with her husband and she will get seperated surely some day legally. So, as i have told you all the situation what will be your further suggestions about getting enrolled in Sukanya Samridihi Yojana.

I need your clear suggestions as shoul I proceed to get enrolled her daughter for sukanya samridhi yojana? And what things I need to be taken care of as I know that someday my sister will get divorced in the near future (I am asking all this in context to documentation so that we dont have to face any issues in the future when we the olicy gets matured?).

What documents will be required for Sukanya Samridi Yoajana for her daughter as her daughter has only one ID proff that is Aadhar Card and that one is also with her husband.

Please let me know if you need any other details.



 3 Replies

Adv Keches Shilwante (Partner @ Legal Biceps)     17 July 2020

Yes mother can very well open the sukanya Samriddhi Yojana Account.

Below are the eligibility and Documenations details

  • 1.The Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana account can be opened in the name of a girl child, by her parents or legal guardians, any time before the girl child attains 10 years of age.
  • 2.Only one account per girl child is allowed.
  • 3.The natural or legal guardian can open account for a maximum of two girl children only
  • 4.A third account can only be opened in the event of twin girls as second birth or if the first birth results into three girl children, on production of certificate from competent medical authorities
  • 5.The account holder has to be an Indian citizen and resident in India at the time of account opening and has to remain so until maturity or closure of account.


  • 1.SSY Account Opening form
  • 2.Birth Certificate of the girl child, having the child’s name on it
  • 3.Photograph of the parent/ legal guardian of the girl child
  • 4.KYC Documents (Identity & Address Proof) of the parent/ guardian.

Best Regards

Adv.Keches Shilwante

2 Like

P. Venu (Advocate)     18 July 2020

Your sister, who is the mother of the child, can open the account. The mother's marital status is of no relevance.

Gaurav Kumar (It)     21 July 2020

Hi Mr. Venu,

Thanks for your response.

But as such my sister have no birth proofs of her daughter so is it possible to get enrolled in the policy without it.

As I have mentioned earlier that Only Adhar Card has been made for her daughter but that one is also with her husband and she dont even know the Adhar number.

Moreover, I will also confirm about the same from the concerned  banks  or post office.



Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Start a New Discussion Unreplied Threads
Follow us Course law

Popular Discussion

view more »

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query