Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More


Can a mother file a case of dowry harassment

I live in US and not in a position to travel because of various reasons(Finance / Small kid), wanted some guidance if my mother can file a compliant on her own with local police for Dowry harassment.

 As today when she approached local police they refuse to take the compliant and asked to lodge a complaint with Ministry of External Affairs as i now live in US.

 They have for now accepted the papers "Only for information" 

Pls guide.


 6 Replies

Q Slinger (NA)     03 November 2014

Was dowry given? If yes, then you are equally guilty! Dowry taking is a crime and so is dowry giving.


If possible at all...set your ego aside and settle the matter aimcabally. By sitting in US and filing a case is only going to hassell your parents. 

adv.raghavan (Advocate,9444674980)     04 November 2014

your query is not clear, who is getting harassed you or your mother?

Shonee Kapoor (Legal Evangelist - TRIPAKSHA)     04 November 2014

:-) As law stands, she can file a case on your behalf. But if the police has apprehension that the victim may not appear/ co-operate with the prosecution, they can refuse.



Tra (Tra)     09 November 2014

Yes your mother can file DV. But Women can file DVCase only male opponent. 

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     09 November 2014

If you could disclose facts of the case some mind could be applied.

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     09 November 2014

is it the same case as in

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Start a New Discussion Unreplied Threads

Popular Discussion

view more »

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query