LIVE Online Course on NDPS by Riva Pocha and Adv. Taraq Sayed. Starting from 24th May. Register Now!!
The Indian Constitution Courses

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Sachin Agrawal (abcd)     19 May 2014

Can a government employee hold the chief position in an ngo?

My brother aged 25 years is government Employee in Madhya Pradesh State Government.
He wants to start an NGO to work for education and employment for unprivileged and unemployed people.
can he hold the administrative position like President of NGO or become a founder member of it?


 7 Replies

Isaac Gabriel (Advocate)     20 May 2014

It is not a legal query.Consult your department.

K.K.Ganguly (Advocate)     20 May 2014

He can, if the position is voluntary & without any payment.

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     20 May 2014

He should obtain permission from his department being a government employee to indulge in such extra curricular activities which may  prove a hindrance/disturbance to his service career.

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     23 May 2014

Under the Government Servant's Conduct Rules applicable to Central Government Servants, no permission is necessary, if the NGO is registered under the Societies' Registration Act. I do not remember the Rule No. You may be able to find out from the internet.  But just to avoid any harassment let your brother inform his department and wait for some time. If no reply is received he can go ahead. If a 'no' reply is received, it cannot be arbitrary. The Government has to give valid reason.

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     25 May 2014

The Central Government Rule says that there is no bar for Governments servants to join purely artistic, literary, scientific or charitable organizations,which are not a source of profit. But if your brother's superior officer asks him not to be associated, he will have to refrain from. It will be an uphill task to get clearance again. But if the order of the superior officer does not come within reasonable time no action can be taken against your brother.

I have checked the Rules of a few State Governments. They are also a repetition of same Rule only.

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     27 June 2014

permission of deptt is very well requuired by govt servant. 

Diwash   19 December 2019

Can the trust (ngo) members instal their display board of designation on their vehicle? 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query