LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Nitin   06 January 2022

Can a civil case be expedited ?

My landlord has sent me a notice to vacate due to non payment of rent which is not true because I have been paying it regularly by cash as he demanded with no receipts for many years & nothing is due right now.

He has his own luxurious place to live. If he files a civil suit, can he ask the court to expedite the case & do courts grant his wish in such cases ? How expeditious would such cases be ( Half the time or less ? )

Learning

2 Replies

Shashi Dhara   06 January 2022

He can but it is not in his hold ,law takes its own time.

Megha   21 January 2022

Hi,

As a first step, please talk to your Landlord and try to resolve the issue amicably. 

If no resolution is arrived at, please check the Rent Control Act of your State and read the grounds for eviction.  Generally, tenants are have protection from arbitrary eviction barring the exceptions provided under the rent control act.

Non payment of rent, sub-letting of property, complaints against tenant from neighbours, using the property for unlawful use, property for self/ family occupation, repairs and renovation are usually some of the reasons for which a Landlord can seek eviction from the tenant.  

However, if you feel that your Landlord is not justified in evicting you, you can file a suit of injunction against such eviction.  

Best regards,
Megha

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register