FLAT 20% OFF and 3-Months ADDED Validity on All Courses Absolutely FREE! Enroll Now Use Code: INDIA20
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Sivaraman Vijayakumar   25 May 2020

breaking of an engagement.

Dear Expert, My relative's friend asked me an advice for breaking the engagement of her daughter. The reason is that engagement was held against the willing of the girl. This was arranged only by the adamancy of her mother, without the acceptance of the girl and her father. Both of them fought with the mother not to do but found impossible. The girl informed her nonacceptance to the boy for many times. So he started compelling her to go hotel and torturing her for staying with him before marriage. Her mother also inducing the boy to share bed with the girl. In this situation, the father also helpless. So, the girl is sufferings a lot to come out of the engagement. So, please any one of the Expert give the advice to save that poor girl. Thank you very much


 4 Replies

P. Venu (Advocate)     25 May 2020

oThe facts posted are less than convincing. The Law marriage does not approve any marriage without the consent of the girl.

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     25 May 2020

The girl may file a police complaint and/or a complaint case u/s 12 of the Protection of Women from Domestic Violance Act, 2005 

Deekshitulu.V.S.R (B.Sc, B.L)     25 May 2020

I concur with Vashista

P.Bashista (Advocate)     25 May 2020

If the girl is not willing to do the marriage then as an adult she can say no to the marriage. If she is being tortured and pressurized she can always file a police complaint against all the people who are torturing her.

In regard to filing of a complaint U/s 12 of Domestic violence Act there has to be ‘domestic relationship’ as defined under Section 2(e) of the Protection of Women From Domestic Violence Act. As much as I understand from your query the girl has not lived together with the boy or his family members at any point of time.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query