LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Manimishmm (none)     12 November 2014

Blackmail: romance scam allegations

I met a Belgian man on a matrimonial website last year while I was awaiting divorce. I was in a vulnerable situation because of the divorce and over time, he also made me afraid that I am to old to have children etc. so I better marry him soon if I ever hope to have children.  And we all know how difficult it is for a divorced woman to find a husband, again. 

During and after divorce, I was going through a tough time emotionally and financially- he gave me work and he paid me for it. All this without us ever meeting. I trusted him to ay me for work. But over time I realised that I wasn't eligible for a passport to visit him , yet- according to the laws in my country. So I informed him of that. After that he got very aggressive and started to abuse me and threaten me with police action. 

I have emailed my own pictures to him. Real pictures. He has my real address. I have always been truthful. There WAS a time when I took advance from him but then I worked for him later for which he did not pay me. I have all the invoices.

I have also asked him to see the proof that I was not lying- I really wasn't eligible, yet for passport. I sent him the government rule book as well. But he just ignored that and accused me of being a liar and a thief. 

Even when my relative died, he did not leave me alone. he has until now called me at least 800 times and threatened to contact police in my city several times....

I am extremely traumatised with continuous threats.I realised I cannot live with a man like that.

He said things like if I come to his country on tourist visa, then he will lock me up in the attic and never let me out. Or if I cannot give him children then he will take a second wife. 

He hasn't held a job in the one year since I've known him and when I raise concerns about that, about how does he expect to raise a family without a livelihood, he says that we will live on government handouts. Which may or may not depend on him being eligible for it. With so much uncertainty, I decided it is best to end it here.

I am not a scammer but he is blackmailing me by threatening to defame me by calling me a romance scammer. I am trying to start my life over again, after my divorce and my illness. But he is threatening to ruin it. What do I do? please help me. 

Learning

1 Replies

Anil Upadhyay (Lawyer)     12 November 2014

Please put a private message to me and reveal all the facts specially related to the messages and picture which you shared with him.

Don't be afraid he cannot harm you..

May be it was a trap for you, as he was able to understand your need and requirements. Your lucky that due to legal formalities you was not able to leave India, otherwise you will be in trouble..

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register