Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Parth Makadiya   09 December 2016

Birth certificate issue for passport

Hello ,
I am Parth . I am applying for a new passport and I am Indian by Birth (1996).

Now Query is I have Birth Certificate issued by Gram Panchayat in Gujarat (in gujarati language). I heard that lots of people talking about this some says it's acceptable some says they are not acceptable ..

Officials says about birth certificate --->(my birth year 1996) "For applicants born on or after 26.01.89, only Birth Certificate issued by the Municipal Authority or any office authorized to issue Birth and Death Certificate by the Registrar of Births & Deaths is accepted. No other document will be accepted as proof of date of birth."

So Can I apply for the passport with a birth certificate given by Gram Panchayat.

Learning

13 Replies

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     10 December 2016

You have to get Birth Certificate duly translated in Englilsh through a notary or authorised translators.  By producing the Panchayat certificate, you have to obtain regular certificate from Registrar of Births.   These matters has to be taken up by you by personally discussing with concerned Tehasildar, as you can explain him the facts.

Prior to 1989, the date of birth issued or stated in educational qualification certificates prevail.  If you have DOB noted in 10th class Board certificate, no other document is necessary for applying for passport, as you were born before 1989.

Parth Makadiya   10 December 2016

Sorry sir I born After 1989. So I can simply do 1 thing 1. Translate it with authorized translator Or i can also go to the birth area (which is far from where I live ) 1. Municipal office and ask for a new Birth certificate

Rama chary Rachakonda (Secunderabad/Highcourt practice watsapp no.9989324294 )     10 December 2016

The passport application requires the applicants to produce a date of birth proof and this requires a birth certificate. This proof of date of birth can be provided by several means such as the Birth Certificate issued by Municipal Authority or district authority of the registrar of births and deaths, date of birth certificate from the school last attended or any registered educational institute attended by the applicant and an affidavit sworn by the candidate in front of a Magistrate/Notary declaring date of birth by illiterate or semi literate applicants.

These modes of submission of date of birth proof are applicable for the candidates who fail to produce a valid birth certificate during form submission due to any reason. For the candidates born on or after 26th January 1989 a valid birth certificate issued by the Municipal authority or the District Office of the registrar of birth and death is mandatory for issuing a passport.

Birth certificate must be only from Registrar of Births.  There is no other way.  You have to personally go, submit that Panchayat certificate through Tehasildar to RDO and to obtain DOB from competent authority.  Your VRO can help you in this regard.   There are no short cuts.  The DOB from Registrar in your case is mandatory.

P. Venu (Advocate)     10 December 2016

In my considered opinion, the the Gram Panchayat constitutes a "office authorized to issue Birth and Death Certificate by the Registrar of Births & Deaths" and hence the Birth Certificate is valid and should hold good for all purposes. This could be verified from the Certificate itself. Gujarati is among the official languages listed in the Constitution and this aspect need not be a ground for objection esp. if you are applying at a RPO in Gujarat. Anyhow, you have the option to get the certificate in English, if so required.

Kumar Doab (FIN)     10 December 2016

Check and inquire as suggested by Mr. P.Venu.

Parth Makadiya   10 December 2016

Thanks All Members to help me .. Let me try with my Gram panchayat certificate ..Hope it might work. And Mr P Venu ,I am applying in Gujarat (Rajkot).There should not be a language barrier so I don't take an English notary or else .. I will notify you if it works or not .

Parth Makadiya   14 December 2016

Hello All, Issue solved ..I don't need any new certificate or any translation .PSK accept that without any kind of Objection . I am happy at that ... Thank You all ... You are really Helpful..

shoba   27 May 2017

hi sir, Am from kerala but I was born in 1973 Dec 13 in sapthergaj hospital AIMS that time my father was work in CISF..that time birth certificate is not must to join the school. after back to kerala we don't know our language to join school so my date of birth change to 13 may 1975..one year I sit at home and learn.i want my birth certificate..but not sure it's registered in municipality..my hostel days I fill my my mom name wrongly which was her pet name..all siblings documents is correct only my section Mother name change to Asha instead of Ely...I hv to go US next year birth certificate is must..what to do...any one help me from there . I need the birth certificate and want to correct my mother name..it's possible to change in sslc book Mother name?

shoba   27 May 2017

hi sir, Am from kerala but I was born in 1973 Dec 13 in sapthergaj hospital AIMS that time my father was work in CISF..that time birth certificate is not must to join the school. after back to kerala we don't know our language to join school so my date of birth change to 13 may 1975..one year I sit at home and learn.i want my birth certificate..but not sure it's registered in municipality..my hostel days I fill my my mom name wrongly which was her pet name..all siblings documents is correct only my section Mother name change to Asha instead of Ely...I hv to go US next year birth certificate is must..what to do...any one help me from there . I need the birth certificate and want to correct my mother name..it's possible to change in sslc book Mother name?

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     27 May 2017

Central Government now realized these difficulties and announced new directives, in which Birth certificate is not a must, and educational qualification is sufficient.  Please search website of Passport Office for detailed information.  Now there is no such problem and 10th class certificate is enough for applying passport and the date mentioned in the certificate is sufficient as per their requirement.

Kumar Doab (FIN)     27 May 2017

Dear LCI querist @ Parth Makadiya 

You are welcome. 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register