LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

karthik   07 February 2020

Bigamy case

I got married in 2013 and my wife without divorse got married to someone and have 2nd mariage certificate of her.

I filed bigamy and cheating case and FIR is registered

Query:When I can remarry?Do I need to wait for judgement of bigamy or do I need to file another case for divorse?


 3 Replies


Dear Sir, Please note that recently Bigamy has been stuckedoff from IPC.However if an FIR has been registered for Bigamy and Cheating, you are only a victim and seeking punishment of the accused if its been proved beyond all reasonable doubts.

Hence you need to file a case in competent court for divorce on the ground of bigamy and also file all the criminal cases pending against then accused.

Then the civil court after due trial may pass a decree/ judgment of divorce, then after the lapse of appeal time, you can re-marry.


Balachander Reddy





SHIRISH PAWAR, 7738990900 (Advocate)     07 February 2020

Dear querist,

Criminal case will take time and it will not grant you divorce. You have to file divorce application in civil court or family court.



ANAMIKA VICHARE (LAWYER)     17 February 2020

Pl file divorce petition.   She maynot appear   you will get exparte decree of divorce


sty blesed


anamika Vichare



Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register