Intellectual Property Rights: Practice and Drafting by Adv Gautam Matani. Register Now!
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

harsha (VP)     08 March 2010

Bigamy ..big mess please help

Hello All ,

I commited a stupid mistake under the false guidance of some people and now i am in big trouble .Please help me ,


I was married to a girl who ran away from my house after 2 months of marriage . Inspite of repeated efforts of reconcialiation , she was not ready to come back . after waiting for 1 year I applied for divorce in UK  and got it the divorce . I served the notice to her and after the judgement sent her the judgement copies . Still waited for answer from her for 4 years . 


After waiting for nearly 5 years , somebody in India contacted us that they wanted their daughter married . I got married but then stupidly agreed to register the marriage in India , under lot of pressure from elders , but under the clause that the magistrate agrees to the foriegn divorce decree . 


now the first wife know of this marriage and she has put a bigamy case on me . Please help me how to get out of this mess .


what is a the maximum sentence if I get convicted . Is there a way to get less than 7 years .




 10 Replies

Arvind Singh Chauhan (advocate)     08 March 2010

7 years, shall also libale to be fined.

Lawrence William (Service)     08 March 2010

Dont be afraid. Act smartly. This is India. You will have ample opportunity to buy...............??. Just hire a local lawyer. Things wil be okay.

1 Like

Rajendra Kumar (self employed)     08 March 2010

I agree with Wilson. Nothing will happen if case is made properly

1 Like

G. ARAVINTHAN (Legal Consultant / Solicitor)     09 March 2010

You have got a valid decree, then better to contest the case will be the good idea.

G. ARAVINTHAN (Legal Consultant / Solicitor)     09 March 2010

It is a different type of harrassment you can give to your wife. You can put her in witness box and ask why she deserted her , has she received notices from you, has she shown ears to your words etc.  

1 Like

Davinder Kumar (Fresher)     09 March 2010

Don't get afraid of any thing.  It is your deserting wife on fault and not you in case you have served her with the decree.  Though the law will take it own time but I am positive that you will win the case and your destering wife will get a mock from the sitting judge.


Davinder Kumar, Advocate 

1 Like

harsha (VP)     09 March 2010

Thanks ..Do we have some judgements in the past so that I can get an idea of how cases are handled .

harsha (VP)     12 March 2010

Hello leaders of this Forum .. Please give some advice 

G. ARAVINTHAN (Legal Consultant / Solicitor)     28 March 2010

Mr.Harsha, you can put your first wife in to embarassing state by making her into box and depose why she ran and all 

R.Ramachandran (Advocate)     16 September 2010

Dear Mr. Harsha, You have to get in touch with and hand over your case to a lawyer.  After ascertaining the complete facts and verifying other documents he will address the issue.  Since many of the finer details cannot be discussed by you in this Forum (for obvious reasons), without those details no one will be in a position to give you proper advice.  As such, it will be in your own interest to contact a lawyer without wasting time.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register