LIVE Online Course on NDPS by Riva Pocha and Adv. Taraq Sayed. Starting from 24th May. Register Now!!
LAW Courses

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

THANGADURAI (Proprietor)     14 November 2014

Bank's abnormal charges refund?

I enjoyed Cash credit facility from a nationalized bank in 2008 around one crore.  The business was slow as all of us knows and I am not able to show the required turnover. The bank made charges like OD Penal interest, inspection charges, renewal charges etc to abnormal amounts without making any alerts to me in advance.
They were insisting me to close the account at the earliest. I was regularly paying the interest portion and reduced the limit to 75lakhs also in 2012. I made protest against the abnormal charges and written letters to revert the charges. The interest also been hike by the bank despite my protest and request that mu business was not good.  The AGM of the bank promised to waive all the abnormal charges at the time of closing the loan.

Recently in Aug.2014, My son helped me to take a loan on his name in other bank and we closed the loan. The bank did not waive any of the charges. They did not commit any thing in writing except the verbal promise by AGM and waiving the charges on one occasion.  After closing the loan, I wrote to the GM of the bank who turned down my request after a month's time. I complained to the Banking Ombudsman in detail with all my correspondence regarding the waiver of abnromal charges.  Even though the bank did not commit any thing in writing regarding waiver of charges, they did not even replied to my letters regarding the abnormal charges. The Banking Ombudsman did not apply their mind in length into my complaint and closed it saying they can't take it for matters in 2008 and all along I was continuing banking with them.

The bank charges were for example, inspection charges for one time inside Chennai city for a distance of 18km or less, of Rs.6000 to 13600. One time they reverted on my request and other times they did not and made verbal promise and cheated me. I am thinking of making an appeal to Banking Ombudsman appellate. Learned counsels kindly advise me.


 1 Replies

Dalip Singh (Advocate)     14 November 2014

File a complaint before the consumer court immediately for unfair trade practices. Bank cannot debit the incidental charges whatsoever without your consent.   Limitation before the Consumer Courts is 24 months which in your case would commence from the date your request was turned down by the GM.  Go ahead.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query