Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Mayank Sahu   11 February 2016

At what point should i appoint lawyer for ndps case?

Hello to the lawyersclubindia community, recently I have been falsly accused of posession of psycotropic substance. I cannot go into much details in public but I was illegally detained without any intimation to my close ones and was totally unaware about laws like habeas corpus which could have prevented all the unnecessary troubles long before.

Later on when the authorties have planned the course of actions they had showed an arrest on a much later date with fictional events and recovery. Then charged me under 8c r/w 21(b) with 0.01g of LSD. after sending the intimation at home my father hired a lawyer for bail and I was granted a bail from the court after several days in JC.

The case status is currently in awaiting chargesheet, and the prosecutor himself accepts that it may take upto an year for the preperation of chargesheet and the trial to start. I have been given dates from the court to be present in hearing in this month and no summons have been received so far.

So my main question is that, should I hire a lawyer for even preliminary hearings? or should I hire once the trial is about to start.

I was totally clueless about how things work in court before this so kindly excuse for any errors.

Thank You

PS : The case is in The Metropolitan Sessions Judge, Nampally, Hyderabad, don't know if this information is relevent or not.

Learning

1 Replies

Augustine Chatterjee,New Delhi (Advocate & Solicitor at Law)     11 February 2016

The role of an advocate begins when you receive the chargesheet . Although u cud consult a good lawyer earlier and prepare him so that he can arrive at the proper defence to be availed at the right stage.
2 Like

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register