Intellectual Property Rights: Practice and Drafting by Adv Gautam Matani. Register Now!
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Sidhhi   30 September 2023

Are Tenants protected under Maharashtra Rent Control Act Consumers?

In Mumbai there are lacs of tenants protected under Maharashtra Rent Control Act living in hazardous buildings.
When such a buildings go for redevelopment tenants are required to be given Permanent Alternate Accomodation in the redeveloped building and this where criminal elements in the garb of Builders enter the arena and use strong arm tactics to evict the tenants for peanuts.

Tenants who refuse to go are harassed by delaying the possession in redeveloped building and monthly rent agreed upon till given possession is also stopped or delayed to presurize them.

Can such tenants approach Consumer Commissioner for redressal of Grievances and demand compensation for the mental agony and harassment inflicted upon them. TIA


 1 Replies

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     30 September 2023

The tenants can approach consumer commission for relief and remedy towards the deficiency in service as well as unfair trade practice against the builder/developer.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register