LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Swami Sadashiva Brahmendra Sar (Nil)     30 July 2009

appropriate address for a lady judge

Dear friends, according to dictionary "lady" is corelative to "lord" . both are marks of respect for powerfull persons. in great britain the word "lady" was used as a mark of respect for a women of superior power in society such as daughters of dukes or wife of a peer below the rank of dukes.

in India we address a high court judge as "my lord" or "your lordship". here in allahabad high court, we address the honorable lady judges by same words. is it proper? or how the honorable lady judges should be addressed?

Learning

5 Replies

Kiran Kumar (Lawyer)     30 July 2009

Tripathi Ji u r right.

but if i would say MY LADY then???? joote to nahin padenge na? :-o)

i ve seen even in trial courts the female judges are addressed as SIR or JANAB

i know a guy who would say MyLordship :-)

manu (advocate)     30 July 2009

sir,

supreme court of india has issued guidelines not to adress the chair as lord or lady. supreme court has made it clear two years back in one of its reported judgments that the judge, he or she shall be adressed by the bar either as sir or your honour.

but as a matter of practice lady judges are very often addressed as your ladyship.

G. ARAVINTHAN (Legal Consultant / Solicitor)     31 July 2009

Yes ... In supreme Court, female Judges were addressed as My LADY... i feel no wrong in it.. (provided your wife not present in Court to see that term)

Arun Krishnan (Student)     01 August 2009

Judges of the Supreme Court and the High Courts are addressed as 'Your Lordship'/'My Lord' and 'Your Ladyship'/'My Lady', a tradition directly attributable to England. However, a resolution of the Bar Council of India calls upon lawyers not to address the judges as Lords/Ladies, they having nothing to with nobility in a constitutional democracy. Lawyers however continue to so address judges - partly out of entrenched habit and partly out of fear of falling in disfavour with them. Subordinate court judges (District, Magistrate, Munsif and Sub-judges) are addressed as 'Your Honour'.

1 Like

Shree. ( Advocate.)     01 August 2009

Dear All,

Is a Former Judge Still "The Honorable"?

I have a question regarding a former district court, that has returned to private practice. Would this person still be called "The Hon.," or would that be inappropriate because of his new role?Because the rule is "once The Honorable, always The Honorable." 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register