Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Chirag Thakkar (Properietor)     15 March 2013

Any laws about naming a child in india?

Hi Friends,

Are there any laws about how a child should be named in India?

Basically, I am a teacher and translator. From last fifteen year I have been teaching and I see that one of the root causes of all the problems of Indian society is caste system. That's why I don't want my baby's name ending with a caste name. I want to name the child in the following order:

Baby's name + Mother's name + Father's name

That way I can respect the labour of mother as well. All I want to know it there are any legalities that can stop me doing from it?

Thanks for your time and help.

Regards.

P.S. I am not sure if I have posted this question in the right forum.

Learning

10 Replies

Manish Udar (www.Mehnat.IN)     16 March 2013

Nothing stops you from giving your child any non-defamatory name that you wish to.

Chirag Thakkar (Properietor)     16 March 2013

Thanks Manish. Any particular reference that I should look into bcz my parents are against my thought and I have to calm them down by showing them what I am doing is legal / constitutional. Thanks again.

Manish Udar (www.Mehnat.IN)     16 March 2013

Sanjay Leela Bhansali has his mother's name as his middle name. As far as father's name is concerned, it is used as a middle name or a surname in large parts of India. You can satisfy your parents by giving the baby the official family name also in addition to the ones that you have mentioned if you can suppress your anger at the caste system. I  have known guys named Neel Ratan and Abhinav Gaurav, where there is no indication of caste or even of parents names. There have been many famous personalities with just one name. My own mother has just one name. I forget the name, but I remember there was one very famous lyricist or music director who had just one name.

Sunil Gokhale (Advocate)     16 March 2013

In Pune there is a group of persons who name the way you suggested ... for example Manasvini Lata Ravindra ... and it is accepted

Chirag Thakkar (Properietor)     16 March 2013

Wow... That's good to know Sunil. Thanks for your reply.

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     17 March 2013

There is no such law.

Chirag Thakkar (Properietor)     17 March 2013

Thnaks for your reply Sudhir.

I was in UK for past 7 years. There are few laws in certain countries about naming so I wanted to make sure about INDIA.

Regards.

Shreya   16 January 2018

Hi , I had a similar question about naming my baby. My surname is Prakash and my husband's is Agarwal. I want to name the baby Firstname Prakash-Agarwal. Note the hyphen in the surname. The reason behind this is that often the middle name gets dropped and I don't want my surname to get dropped. Is this allowed in India?

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     17 January 2018

There is no bar even if you want to name your child with name and surname of a famous policitician/film star / criminal  or his child or a religious personality.  You can seen that many children born in late fifties and early sixties were named as Rajiv or Sanjay.

Then mid forty born have a majority name as Rahul. 

Chirag Thakkar (Properietor)     17 January 2018

Originally posted by : Shreya
Hi , I had a similar question about naming my baby. My surname is Prakash and my husband's is Agarwal. I want to name the baby Firstname Prakash-Agarwal. Note the hyphen in the surname. The reason behind this is that often the middle name gets dropped and I don't want my surname to get dropped. Is this allowed in India?

As you may have read my question, I have named my child "Aarna Kajal Chirag" 9 years back. Her birth certificate, passport, school records, AADHAR card, bank accounts and all the official documents have the same name without any problem. So go ahead with your wish. The only problem I faced was to satisfy curiosity of people and explain to them my reasoning.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register