Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Faizan (Service)     03 March 2012

Anticipatory bail to regular bail

Dear Experts,

Me  and my family are  falsely implicated in 498a case , me my parents all were granted  Regular bail.

But one family member  was  on Anticipatory  bail. Now my IO will be submitting the Chargesheet. My question is how to Regularise the anticipatory bail, since on the day  of chargesheet they can take the person in custody.

Also the chargesheet will be put in lower court where as all our bail proceedings were in session and  high court. Will the lower court judge have  the power to regularise the bail

Learning

12 Replies

Adv.R.P.Chugh (Advocate/Legal Consultant (rpchughadvocatesupremecourt@hotmail.com))     03 March 2012

Dear Querist,

I've not seen the anticipatory bail order - the terms therein, but subject to a perusal of the same, in light of recent supreme court landmark rulings - There is no need to regularize the same on the presentation of the chargesheet and in absence of something to the contrary would go until the end of trial, offcourse the state is free to ask for its cancellation - but the same is difficult to get and you'd have a full fledged hearing before the same is cancelled. 

1 Like

Nadeem Qureshi (Advocate/ nadeemqureshi1@gmail.com)     03 March 2012

Dear Querist

if the AB is conditional then what are the conditions?

if Ab is not conditional, no need to go for regular bail, AB will be sufficient. who is the person on AB, husband or any other

feel free to call

adv. rajeev ( rajoo ) (practicing advocate)     03 March 2012

According to recent ruling you need not to go for regular bail because AB is valid till the disposal of the case.

scott321 (Full Service Metro Detroit Lawyers that that focus on Criminal Law Divorce Law Personal Injury and more.)     04 March 2012

What I think State will object to bail application. Before the High Court 
also they have objected to the Bail

Shonee Kapoor (Legal Evangelist - TRIPAKSHA)     04 March 2012

Rightly advised and I agree there is no need to regularize the same, only a bond needs to be filled in court for the continuation of the AB.

Regards,

Shonee Kapoor

harassed.by.498a@gmail.com

2 Like

(Guest)

We have people from all fields posting here. Subject line is getting punishment to the criminal who has pending punishment on her criminal record which can be accessed by everyone . Emphasize is that  in a legal case when open to discussion-  media , social workers , women’s welfare group (Please mind your posts, they are not fashiontas )- Journalist or Social Workers cannot pass judgment- The credit for investigation, solved cases goes to Police Department.  We have notables from their respective areas,  not only mere advocates but case is open to lawyers  of Supreme court. So please respect outlook of women here. The case is about importance of lodging a police complaint for SIM theft (which even an illiterate can register with self-assurance) , and they leading to crimes in our records. Mrs Iyer already gave the verdict that Sex trade workers cannot use mobile number openly in public , as prohibited by law, this causes use of stolen SIMs & SIMs with fake identy.

Quoting Advocate Rahil Bhatacharya

“I read many of the insights by many Social workers, Fashionistas, & Women’s group. If the verdict is about past cases, criminal records, we must be concise, Legal Act oriented, supported by Legal framework, judiciary & police investigations in India.

CRIMINAL CASE AGAINST:- What can be obtained through RTI by each person through National Crime Record Bureau. NAME: BHAKTI NAIDU FATHER’S NAME: SURENDRA NAIDU PUNISHMENT IN HER RECORD:

1) THEFT (IMPRISIONMENT OF THREE YEARS, PENDING PUNISHMENT)

2) SEX TRADE: Determination of involvement with brothels in Pune, Mumbai & other areas of Maharashtra.

IMPORTANT CLUES:

A) Crime Record:

1) Stealing mobile with SIM [Caught by Pune Police Department after FIR with mobile number was registered. ]

2) Using the SIM (not destroying it) [Live Idea SIM in use tracked during police investigation] ii) Intent- Investigation:

B) Threatening

i) Only criminals who have been in crime till caught this time resort to it, where they have family or gang in crime to shield the network or family trade)

ii) A police investigation will mean, the entire racket of goons (Bhakti Naidu quoted here ) being caught in the process. It will be loss of their source of illicit income. [Supporting Recording: “My father is, and has band of goon, who can go any extent to revenge “- Bhakti Naidu , “We are not ordinary people but criminals were crimes are encouraged”, “ Even if I keep something stolen at my house, my father can stoop any low to protect me” ]

C) Sex Trade

a. Dire urgency to steal , call men from stolen mobile, not in her college during exam, when landline/father’s mobile/mother’s mobile/sister’s mobile was available)

b. She is NOT a virgin (which can be proved by gynaecologist, this is important as used in determination implication in past cases of investigations of prostitution )

c. People whom she claim to be her boyfriend , don’t want to admit to it (what led her to have s*x so frequently, frequency , number of times can be determined by any legally appointed doctor.

d. She called two men, would have called more if the service would have not been stopped by service provider.

e. Exams not important, was put to another college after generating nuisance there (supporting college records, phone recordings ), leaking exams papers through phone , failing consecutively in all semesters

f. Questioning the family if they have lodged the police complaint (after service was stopped), why, when no one does intimidating of a - racket involved with her dad.

g. We have past records of crimes of kidnappings, murder, s*x trade, extortion, terrorism - where identity of caller was hidden by stolen SIMs in Maharashtra Crime Records of Solved Police Cases.

h. ***We have law against public use of phone numbers to pusue s*x trade. So option is acquiring SIMs through stealth, or fake identity.”

Jyoti (none)     24 March 2012

First part:
Accuse no. 1 is the main accuse who has been accused of taking money from a particular person for giving them a house. total amount to Rs. 11lakhs. in July 2010 the sister of Accuse no. 1 is being picked up from her office and brought to the police station under pressure for interrogation. She is not shown any complaint copy. The complainant accompanies the constable from the police station and comes to the office. Accuse no. 1 who is out of town is called forcefully and threatened that the sister will not be left until he appears.
he appears then some settlement is done by giving post dated cheques. the lawyer of accused says that we can do stop payment of cheques as they were forcefully extracted. a notice is issued to the party and the police station about the whole after that a few give n take of notices happen betweent the lawyer of the accused and the lawyer of the complainant. One cheque gets encashed, a part of the principle money paid.

Second Part:
The complainant lodges a pvt complaint of cheque bounce against the accuse no. 1, along with him the complaint is also put on the sister and the father of accuse no. 1. (the signature on the cheque is of only the accuse... not of his sister or father). the court date is 7/03/3012, the accuse along with sister n father goes to attend the court date along with their lawyer. the judge is not there and the next date is given. the accuse and the sister are standing outside the court where the constables from the police station take them in custody without showing them any complaint copy but only pressurizing them by saying that their senior has given them orders to arrest us and get us to the police station.
we are brought to the police station, the accuse his sister and his father. the sister is sent in the ladies room and the accuse and his father are sent in to the men's room. settlement happens and the accuse pays of the 11 lakhs. the sister n the father are left after 6 hours of detention. the accuse is kept in custody and without his knowledge he is been booked under 420, 406 and some 138 (cheque bounce). he is then said that he will be presented in holiday court next day as it was holi. the police plays dirty and doesnt show to th holiday court judge that the money has been paid by the accused. the judge feels that the amount is too much and should not be granted bail hence custody till 12th.again when he is presented on 12th the police fails to mention that the money has been given hence again custody till 15th. Finally on the 15th he gets judicial custody.
the sister n father hence go for their anticipatory bail on 21st and are granted interim relief till 30th now the order that is given is that no arrest can be done till 30th n if arrested a surety of 15,000 be paid and then they can be released and they should be present for interrogation if the police calls and also they should not leave india and go without the permission of the court.

My query is will the anticipatory bail be granted to the sister n the brother. there is no reason for thier custoday as the main accused has served police custody and has now got Judicial custody and also the total money has been paid to the complainant. are there any chances of our bail application getting rejected. our lawyer says that it should get through 99% but what if that 1% doubt comes through--what can be the course of action then??? what necessary precautions to be taken?? is it necessary for the sister n father to be present on the judgement day (the judge said that the judgement will be given on 30th).

Would be very grateful if you can guide me and make me understand what can be done.

(Guest)

I agree with mr.shonee. perfect advice.

Shonee Kapoor (Legal Evangelist - TRIPAKSHA)     24 March 2012

Nitish and Jyoti,

Unable to get what are you talking here? I think you should better start your own thread.

Regards,

Shonee Kapoor

Faizan (Service)     03 April 2012

Dear Members,

Thanks for all your help, I got the regularise bail from lower  court for my wife as she was on AB, where in I have to get 2 sureties. We have got next date in lower court on 10th April. After that the case will stand.

Shonee Kapoor (Legal Evangelist - TRIPAKSHA)     05 April 2012

All the best.

Regards,

Shonee Kapoor

Nitish Banka (lawyer)     24 March 2018

Posted by: nitish788  Categories: Uncategorized 

Conditional Anticipatory Bail in 498a

Once the Fir U/s. 498a/406 is registered it is better option to take anticipatory bail in the offences as read in the FIR. I have already discussed the chances of anticipatory bail U/s. 498a and 406 in my previous article of chances of getting anticipatory bail in 498a But when you move for anticipatory bail in the court the court may impose certain conditions like depositing a demand draft of certain amount in the name of wife and the complainant as a part of maintenance. Now these conditions such are ultravires to the provisions of section 125 CrPC and these type of orders can be challenged in higher courts. When a specific provision is there for maintenance of wife and child such conditional anticipatory bail in 498a is against the law.

Supportive Judgments

1. In Narinder Kaur V/s State(NCT of Delhi) 2007(141)DLT 761

Complainant father in law released on anticipatory bail and petitioner, mother in law granted bail on condition of depositing Rs. 50000 by way of demand draft in the name of complainant complainant husband already paid Rs. in addition to deposit of Rs.1.25 lakh and she is disinterested in receiving Rs, 50000/- Both parties earning well and in dispute in ither fora condition of petitioner to pay complainant Rs. 50000/- set aside.

Image result for anticipatory bail

2.  Munish Bhasin Vs. State 2009(2) RCR (Crl) 247

Provisions of 438 discussed

From the perusal of the provisions of sub-section (2) of section 438, it is evident that when the High Court or the Court of Session makes a direction under sub- section (1) to release an accused alleged to have committed non-bailable offence, the Court may include such conditions in such direction in the light of the facts of the particular case, as it may think fit, including (i) a condition that a person shall make himself available for interrogation by police officer as and when required, (ii) a condition that the person shall not, directly or indirectly, make any inducement, threat or promise to any person acquainted with the facts of the case so as to dissuade him from disclosing such facts to the Court or to any police officer, (iii) a condition that the person shall not leave India without the previous permission of the Court and (iv) such other conditions as may be imposed under sub-section (3) of section 437, as if the bail were granted under that section. Sub-section (3) of Section 437, inter alia, provides that when a person accused or suspected of the commission of an offence punishable with imprisonment which may extend to seven years or more or of an offence under Chapter VI, Chapter XVI or Chapter XVII of the Indian Penal Code or abetment of, or conspiracy or attempt to commit, any such offence, is released on bail under sub-section (1), the Court shall impose the following conditions-

(a) that such person shall attend in accordance with the conditions of the bond executed under this Chapter,

(b) that such person shall not commit an offence similar to the offence of which he is accused, or suspected, of the commission of which he is suspected, and

(c) that such person shall not directly or indirectly make any inducement, threat or promise to any person acquainted with the facts of the case so as to dissuade him from disclosing such facts to the Court or to any police officer or tamper with the evidence.

The Court may also impose, in the interests of justice, such other conditions as it considers necessary.

Conditions which can be imposed

It is well settled that while exercising discretion to release an accused under Section 438 of the Code neither the High Court nor the Session Court would be justified in imposing freakish conditions. There is no manner of doubt that the Court having regard to the facts and circumstances of the case can impose necessary, just and efficacious conditions while enlarging an accused on bail under Section 438of the Code. However, the accused cannot be subjected to any irrelevant condition at all. The conditions which can be imposed by the Court while granting anticipatory bail are enumerated in sub-section (2) of Section 438 and sub- section (3) of Section 437 of the Code. Normally, conditions can be imposed

(i) to secure the presence of the accused before the investigating officer or before the Court,

(ii) to prevent him from fleeing the course of justice,

(iii) to prevent him from tampering with the evidence or to prevent him from inducing or intimidating the witnesses so as to dissuade them from disclosing the facts before the police or Court or

(iv) restricting the movements of the accused in a particular area or locality or to maintain law and order etc. To subject an accused to any other condition would be beyond jurisdiction of the power conferred on Court under section 438 of the Code.

While imposing conditions on an accused who approaches the Court under section 438 of the Code, the Court should be extremely chary in imposing conditions and should not transgress its jurisdiction or power by imposing the conditions which are not called for at all. There is no manner of doubt that the conditions to be imposed under section 438 of the Code cannot be harsh, onerous or excessive so as to frustrate the very object of grant of anticipatory bail under section 438 of the Code. In the instant case, the question before the Court was whether having regard to the averments made by Ms. Renuka in her complaint, the appellant and his parents were entitled to bail under section 438 of the Code.

When the High Court had found that a case for grant of bail under section 438 was made out, it was not open to the Court to direct the appellant to pay Rs. 3,00,000/- for past maintenance and a sum of Rs.12,500/- per month as future maintenance to his wife and child. In a proceeding under section 438 of the Code, the Court would not be justified in awarding maintenance to the wife and child. The case of the appellant is that his wife Renuka is employed and receiving a handsome salary and therefore is not entitled to maintenance. Normally, the question of grant of maintenance should be left to be decided by the competent Court in an appropriate proceedings where the parties can adduce evidence in support of their respective case, after which liability of husband to pay maintenance could be determined and appropriate order would be passed directing the husband to pay amount of maintenance to his wife. The record of the instant case indicates that the wife of the appellant has already approached appropriate Court for grant of maintenance and therefore the High Court should have refrained from granting maintenance to the wife and child of the appellant while exercising powers under section 438of the Code.

The condition imposed by the High court directing the appellant to pay a sum of Rs.12,500/- per month as maintenance to his wife and child is onerous, unwarranted and is liable to be set aside.

By Adv. Nitish Banka

Practicing Advocate at Supreme court of India

nitish@lexspeak.in

December 24, 2017Similar post

November 30, 2013In "Criminal Law"

April 11, 2016Similar post

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register