Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Simp (Engineer)     12 September 2009

Annulment & Divorce req. in one petition?

In Divorce petition wife asks for Annulment, on false grounds like mental problems,impotency etc., and for Divorce if its not possible for court to grand Annulment. Is this double stand petition valid one? Marriage was in jan 2008. Can I ask court to either accept it as Annulment only petition or accept it as Divorce petition after Jan 2009? Should I file reply to such a DV notice from court? Can judge accept Divorce petition before expiry of one year and ask for filing reply on it? Can I for appeal if court accept it? plz help.

Learning

2 Replies

Adv. Deepak (Advocate)     12 September 2009

In divorce petition, wife can ask for alternate reliefs of annulment or divorce. It is valid.  Under Section 151 of CPC, Court can consider the application under any ground.  You should not ask the court either to accept it as Annulment Petition or Divorce Petition.  On the contrary, you should file your reply and explain how it does not make any ground either for annulment or for divorce.  It will be considered as divorce petition only if the Court comes to the conclusion that it cannot be accepted as Annulment Petition.  Till such conclusion is made, it is Annulment Petition only.  Hence, it is filed before completion of one year.  If the trial is over before completion of one year and the court comes to the conclusion that it cannot be accepted as annulment petition, court will direct the party to file petition for divorce after completion of one year.  You will not come across such time to make appeal on the order of the court accepting divorce petition before one year.  ddkharpudikar@indiatimes.com  +919850390145

s.s.m.rajan (student)     13 September 2009

Mr.Simp you can file divorce petition before the honourable court.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register