LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

OPPILAMANI G (ASST> COMMR)     08 March 2024

An individual can have three house buildings each having separate entrance, kitchen etc is eligiblle

My wife own a building at Coimbatore. She had constructed two portions on the first floor each having separate entrance, kitchens, bathrooms etc and applied for two additional service connections in her name as the entire plot and building stand in her name. The EB officer who visited the building found separate entrances, kitchens etc on the first floor but he refused to provide two more connections on her name and insisting production of lease deeds in the name of other two persons. The total area including first floor including two portions does not exceed 3000 Sq. ft .Is there any prohibition to provide two additional connections to an individual who had constructed two separate portions on the first floor of the existing ground floor. kindly clarify sir


 5 Replies

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     08 March 2024

The EB officer is right in his reason to reject the application for separate connection in the absence of a separate family occupying the separate portion of the property situated in a single building.

There's no legal infirmity in it. 

You may comply with the procedures of law. 


OPPILAMANI G (ASST> COMMR)     09 March 2024

Thank yoy sir,

Sir Apart from the ground floor in which we are now living, two more portions have been constructed on the existed terrace (First floor) providing separtte entrances for each portion with separete kitchen etc, How a tenant will be prepared to occupy the above portions without electricity. After providing connection the officer can verify them and if he find any thing wrong he is at liberty to issue notice for disconnection..Near my house there is an encroachment on the railway land and nearly 300 huts (tiled) are put up and they are enjoing free electricity with all facilities of fridge,tvs iorn boxes but they are left out by the same official. How the same officer can raise objections in providing electricity fotr genuine persons. more over Corporation approval has been obtained for constructing the two portions by paying Rs.1 lakh as Development charges.I can get two separate property tax assessment after  tenants are put up... Kindly advice me as to whether any restriction imposed in the Suply Code etc. 

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     09 March 2024

You already are having a service connection to the building.

If at all you are letting out a portion of the building on rent then you can obtain a separate connection at that time.


OPPILAMANI G (ASST> COMMR)     20 March 2024

Sir, My point is how a person will come for occupying a portion without electricity. Kindly quote the relevant provision prohibitting addl connection to an independent portions. kindly reply me sir

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     23 March 2024

The electricity service connection to the entire building is already existing, hence if a portion of the property has been separated and decided to be let out on rent, then obtain the tenant details and apply for fresh connection for the newly formed portion as per law, until then the tenant may use the electricity service connection which is already existing. 

If you want to challenge the law then you can file a suit for direction to the authorities concerned by the court to provide the service connection wihtout following their rules or procedures, but only on the points or grounds that you relyu upon.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register