LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Neeraj1981 (se)     14 July 2013

Amendment of complaint in 498a

Can a complaint filed under Crpc 498 be amended? My wife (residing and working in Mumbai) filed 498a case from her hometown (Kanpur) but since there was no cause of action related to Kanpur, the magistrate asks her to explain as to how Kanpur is the jurisdiction and made of note of this in writing. At this, she withdrew the complaint stating that she does not want to go ahead with the case. Later after one month, she re-filed 498a and this time she changed the statements in her 498a complaint and stated "cause of action" of Kanpur so as to make Kanpur as the jurisdiction. I have read that "amendment to cure defect and lacuna cannot be allowed". My query to the LCI experts are (1) Is there any judgment/citation which clarifies that statement made criminal case cannot be amended if it changes the nature of the complaint or is done to fill in the lacuna. Thanks

Learning

2 Replies

subrata chandra polle (advocate)     14 July 2013

Kindly, inform the facts of the first case and second case. If the two facts are different then the answer will be diferent. So clarify the matter.

Neeraj1981 (se)     15 July 2013

@ Advocate Subrata.

Thanks for the reply. In the first complaint, all the allegations related to mumbai or gurgaon. However, when the magistrate asks her to explain as to how Kanpur is the jurisdiction, she withdrew the first complaint stating that she does not want to go ahead with the case. In second complaint which she filed after abouth a month, she has added allegations related to kanpur so as to make kanpur as the jurisdiction. rest of the things are all same in both the complaints. Please help -  Is there any judgement/citation which clarifies that a fresh case filed to fill in the lacuna/defects in the original case is not allowed. thanks

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register