LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Rangaram S (Propritor)     21 August 2011

Age bar for LLB

Is the age bar of 30 Yrs. applicable to Distance Education of LLB also all Over India.

Thanks & Regards,

Ranga.

Learning

18 Replies

pratik (self working)     21 August 2011

NO

Arvind Singh Chauhan (advocate)     21 August 2011

Distance education for Ll.B is not recognized by BCI yet.

Rangaram S (Propritor)     22 August 2011

Thanks to Pratik & arvind.

I am entirely new to this area. I would like to know law from scratch.

What if LLB is not recognised by BCI, is it  not possible to argue in Court for any type of case.

ie if not as a profession, is it possible to attend cases as a self defence.

Thanks & Regards,

Ranga.

DISHA D. SHAH (lawyer)     22 August 2011

but after 45 years you can not registered to bci for practice

JAYANTA BANERJEE (ADVOCATE )     22 August 2011

As per latest ruling there is no age bar for taking admission in LL.B.But after 45 years you cannot practise in courts.

Please do not do any correspondence course as these are not recognised by BCI

For any clarification you fell free to contact me at 09811289652

pratik (self working)     22 August 2011

But Jayanta & Disha Sir/MAdam

Can i ahve the section which say that after 45 years a lawyer cannot registered hinself under any BAR Council & Cannot pratice in court's

Thanks

modassir nasim (lawyer)     22 August 2011

Hon'ble Jayant Bbanerjee sir 

Can u give the details of the latest ruling which say that no age bar for getting admissiom in LL.B.

DISHA D. SHAH (lawyer)     23 August 2011

yes bci not clerify any for admission to llb or completion of 3years but limit given for enrolment as practicing advocate

rajguptacs (professional)     23 August 2011

The Bar Council of India is not empowered to make the rules on the basis of age factor for enrolling the advocates.  In case of Indian Council of Legal Aid and Advise Vs. BCI & others AIR 1995 SC 691, the S.C. has made it clear that  the rule debarring a person who has completed the age of 45 years is beyond the rule-making power of the Bar Council of India.

Rajesh Gupta

rajguptacs (professional)     23 August 2011

Further Mr. M. Pirevi Perumal replied on 24/07/2009 on lawyers club as under:

There is some good news for 45 years-plus law graduates who want to practice as advocates. The Bar Council of Delhi (BCD) today informed the Delhi High Court that it has withdrawn its decision to fix a maximum age-limit for enrollment as a lawyer.

Appearing before the Division Bench of Justice Vikramjit Sen and Justice S L Bhayana, the Bar Council of India's lawyer Sanjeev Sachdeva said "On November two a resolution was passed (by BCD) to withdraw its December 2006 policy (on age-limit for advocates)", Sachdeva added. The Bench sought an affidavit from the BCD giving details about its meeting and the resolution passed in it on the age limit issue by the next date of hearing. The Bench was hearing a batch of petitions challenging the BCD'sresolution fixing 45 years as the maximum age limit for getting a licence for practicing in courts. According to petitioners, the Supreme Court had already set aside similar resolution of Bar Council of India and BCD's action denying licence to some applicants on the ground of being over-age was arbitrary and discriminatory in nature. Later, BCD chairman K K Manan told PTI "The regulation that no person, who have crossed the age of 45 years, would be enrolled as an advocate with the Bar Council of Delhi has been done away with." Experienced persons, who wished to join the Bar after relinquishing their respective occupation, would not cause any harm to the legal profession, in fact, they would enrich it, he added.
1 Like

DISHA D. SHAH (lawyer)     23 August 2011

thanks for information

Rangaram S (Propritor)     24 August 2011

Hi all,

Thanks for such a long discussion, for which I have initiated.

Actually I am 48 Yrs old . I am from Science & Mathematics backround. I am from Coimbatore,Tamilnadu.

I would like to Learn Indian Law for self defence.( In case of public litigations) .may not take it as a profession.

I have  good knowledge in Contract Law & some basic knowledge in Company law.

Please let me know if any notes/e-books through which I can get  basic ideas from scratch (Civil/criminal etc.)

Even I am planning to take up distance education for LLB.

Thanks & Regards,

Ranga.

Sankaranarayanan (Advocate)     26 August 2011

yes mr rajgupta's explanation is very correct, there is no age bar to enrolement in BC

JAYANTA BANERJEE (ADVOCATE )     26 August 2011

Please go through this

https://lawmin.nic.in/la/subord/bcipart4.htm

&

BAR COUNCIL SITE

THE AGE BAR IS 30 YEARS  BUT THERE  IS NO COURT RULING

REGARDS

JAYANTA BANERJEE

M.B .A. LL.M

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register