LAW Courses

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Mehul Ved   19 June 2017

Adoption of 5 day old child from relative

Dear Sir/Madam,

I and my Wife are adopting a baby girl from my brother-in-law (My Wife's real younger brother). Baby Girl is just 5 day old and is a 2nd child to my brother-in-law.

I and my wife are permanent resident of Mumbai. Child's parents are also Permanantly Mumbai resident, however child's birth place is Palghar.

Kindly advise what is the entire adoption process and documentations to be done to legally adopt the child. How much time it will take to complete the legal process and cost involved.

My Age=37 Years

My Wife's Age=37 Years

Child's Birth Mother age=30 Years

Child's Real Father's age=35 Years




 5 Replies

Ms.Usha Kapoor (CEO)     19 June 2017

Formally You take with your wife's consent in adoption your  brother in  laws baby girl and your brother in law and his wife with each others consent they give in adoption their baby girl before  a Homum called dutta Homam.. After this formality go for   Registration of Adoption where giving in Adoption  by the donor and taking in adoption by Adopter/sdonee should be clearly mentioned. Take signatures of 3 witnesses,


Cut out the homa etc.  Get the adoption registered first by contacting a advocate.  Then do your homa boma etc.

Advocate Bhartesh goyal (advocate)     20 June 2017

Firstly a deed of adoption has to be executed by natural mother father and adopted mother father and thereafter adoption deed has to be registered before sub registrar office then other formalities to be done.

Bhupinder Singh   27 June 2018


I am adopting my brother's daughter and for this purpose I did all the research and I have gone through all the legelaities. I can say I have read through entire JJ Act 2015.

Your case is related to In-Country Relative Adoption as per CARA (Central Adoption Resource Authority). You need to register on Carings portal of CARA (cara website link) and gather all the documents as per schedule VI  of regulation 2017 of JJ Act 2015.

I did followed this process as specified by CARA and my application is in progress. In my case all the documents are ready and submitted to CARA. Now I am just waiting for CARA to approve my documents so that I can apply for court order. Once court order is issued, CARA will direct concerned authorities to issue birth certificate of the child having our names as parents and accordingly her passport will be issued.

I must say that eligibility and procedure is clearly mentioned on CARA website. I will be available on 9886962410 for any in-person talks on this matter.

Hope it will be useful to you!


Bhupinder Singh



Sudhir Kumar (Retd Govt Officer)     24 February 2019

One cannot adopt the child of a person whom he was not allowed to marry.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Start a New Discussion Unreplied Threads

LCI Learning Hindu Laws

Popular Discussion

view more »

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query