LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Jshukla (none)     19 April 2012

Adding name on birth certificate after 15 years

Following a marriage between a foreigner (french) and an indian national, the embassy of France, for the registration is requiring the addition of name on the birth certificate of the indian spouse...

The Municipality of Jaipur from where the birth certificate is issued says it is not possible.

After researches on the internet, in many states of India (including Delhi) the addition of name is not possible after 15 years:


Q    How name of the child can be added in the birth certificate?
Ans.:  Name of the child can be entered in the Birth Record free of cost within one year occurrence of births either orally or in writing.  After one year, but within a period of 15 years (w.e.f. 1.1.2000 as per provisions of DRBD Rules 1999), name can be got  entered on payment of Rs.5/- as late fee.

I am trying to find the legal text that shows it is not possible to add a name on a birth certificate after 15 years, so the Embassy doesn't insist on that point. Otherwise they will refuse to register the marriage in France.

On the passport of the indian spouse, all the informations are there: name of the indian spouse, name of the parents, date of birth, issued from Jaipur etc...

How can I proove this rule of 15 years to the Embassy?




 3 Replies

Adv. Gulammayudin A. Gagdani (LEGAL ADVISOR)     19 April 2012

look in this case you will have to appear local advocate at jaipur and file a case for getting birth certificate

in a civil court.


adv. rajeev ( rajoo ) (practicing advocate)     19 April 2012

You will have to file criminal miscelleneous case u/s 13(1) of  birth and death registrtion act.

Manu Gaur (ABC)     30 October 2014

Hi Jshukla,

I have a similar issue. Were you able to resolve this? Could you please share your experience with me. I am in desperate need of some help in this regard.




Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register