LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Ashok Kumar (Engineer)     02 July 2021

Action against my lawyer

What i can do if my previous laywer is using my property documents against me.

Learning

1 Replies

Kevin Moses Paul   03 July 2021

It is very important for all of us to understand that advocates/Lawyers/Barristers are not just mere professionals but are also Officers to the Courts of Law and thus, play a crucial role within the judicial administration.
There are a several number of rules and guidelines laid down that regulate the professional standards of an advocate.
All of these rules and regulations are mentioned in Chapter II, Part VI of the Bar Council of India Rules and are also commonly known as "BCI Rules".

These rules have been placed there under section 49(1)(c) of the Advocates Act, 1961.

All these rules have been categorised under 3 categories which are namely:-
(I) RULES ON AN ADVOCATES DUTY TOWARDS COURT,
(II) RULES ON AN ADVOCATES DUTY TOWARDS CLIENT'S,
(III) RULES ON ADVOCATES DUTY TOWARDS OPPONENTS and
(IV) RULES ON AN ADVOCATES DUTY TOWARDS FELLOW ADVOCATES.

The Rule 15 of the RULES ON AN ADVOCATES DUTY TOWARDS HIS CLIENTS, states that - "An advocate should not misuse or takes advantage of the confidence reposed in him by his client".

Thus, if an advocate is found disobeying any of the rules laid down the BAR COUNCIL OF INDIA, then he/she is liable for punishment, where even the Licence as Legal Practitioner can be cancelled,. depending upon the severeness of the case.

Since, you're former advocate is misusing the documents that you provided to him earlier with trust, can lead him to trouble. You may consult any other legal practitioner, who is ready to bring confront him/her for his/her wrongly done actions.

Hope It Helps

Regards
Kevin M. Paul
1 Like

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register