Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

BIJAY MEHER   27 March 2021

About the validity of birth certificate

Dear sir,
I was born in 08/10/1981 but my father has opened my birth certificate on 1988 with the permission of an executive magistrate from health department . Is my birth certificate legally valid or not ?Please reply.Will it be helpful to acquiring Indian citizenship under citizenship act 1955?

Learning

1 Replies

Ishaan   23 April 2021

The government has already stated that Any document related to the date and place of birth can be submitted to prove citizenship for National Register of Citizens. The government has also said that birth certificates are ‘acceptable’ as proof of the date and place of birth in relation to the NRC (National register of citizens). Union home minister Amit Shah had said in an interview--that Aadhaar, voter card and passport are not enough to prove citizenship. By law since 1969, registration of births is compulsory as per provisions of Registration of Births & Deaths Act. Birth certificates are issued by the Government of India or the municipality or authority concerned. Specific rules may vary by state, region, and municipality. In Delhi, for example, births must be registered within 21 days by the hospital or institution, or by a family member if the birth has taken place at home. Certificates can also be issued under special provisions to adopted children, and undocumented orphans. Overseas births can also be registered now as per the provisions.

According to section 3 of the citizenship act, you will be able to get the citizenship without any problem as you meet the criteria for citizenship. Because your birth certificate was made in 1988, you must meet the eligibility provided in clause (b) of the section.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register