Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

(Guest)

About Dowry.

Taking dowry it is an offence?

If girls family gives dowry volunteerily , without asking from groom side , so it will be punishable?

And if taking dowry is punishable then maybe every Indian would be publishable , because still girls families are still giving those refrigerator, furnitures, gold in marraiges.
I want proper answer on this specific issue, because it's very common in India.

Learning

4 Replies

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     08 July 2020

Originally posted by : Sajeda Ajmeri
Taking dowry it is an offence?If girls family gives dowry volunteerily , without asking from groom side , so it will be punishable?And if taking dowry is punishable then maybe every Indian would be publishable , because still girls families are still giving those refrigerator, furnitures, gold in marraiges. I want proper answer on this specific issue, because it's very common in India.

@ Sujeda Ajmeri,

Gift or dowry has two parties ie.., donor and donee. Why does donee accept the gift/dowry? If donee do not accept the gift/ dowry then what?

You have stated, inter alia, that, ".... girls families are still giving those refrigerator, furnitures, gold in marraiges...." Historically bride is being given all domestic articles to support newly married couple so that they may get settled in their matrimonial life, besides the fact that the daughters did not have any right in ancestral property (which has been amended in September 2005) . 

You did not mention what is your problem for application of dowry laws prevelent in Indian societies ?

You have given the question paper seeking proper answer for specific answer if you want to pass this examination stating  "....I want proper answer on this specific issue, because it's very common in India.."  ????? 

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     08 July 2020

The experts in the forum advise members first to be law-abiding and good citizens.  When there is enactment, finding such and such practice is illegal, one can not argue with statute about such merits and demerits.

(Guest)
ok, I just want to ask, in the definition of prohibition of dowry :-Is taking dowry it is an offence or not?

Krish Mahajan   10 July 2020

Hello sir/ma'am 

The answer to your question can be solved by the following articles

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/articles/details.asp?mod_id=9332#commentingboxnested

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/articles/dowry-prohibition-laws-in-india-8877.asp

Hope this helps 

Regards 

Krish Mahajan

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register