LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

lakchana (other)     17 November 2009

About an unmarried woman adopting a child

Can an unmarried woman adopt a child? what are the rules and regulations for doing so?


 7 Replies

Meenakshi (Lawyer)     17 November 2009

 Yes Thats possible! Example Sushmita sen!

Women who are unmarried can adopt as well as long as they are not a minor. However, if a woman were to adopt a son, the woman must be twenty four years of age or older than the child. 

Suchitra. S (Advocate)     17 November 2009

Unmarried women can adopt a child in India. Meenakshi ji has told you the prerequisites. Other than that she must be below 40years of age and should have the source of income to rear the child.

LIYANA SHAJI   24 June 2020


 Yes, an unmarried woman can adopt a child in India. The Applicants must be between the ages of 25-55; financially capable; physically, mentally and emotionally stable and without any life-threatening conditions.

Hope this answers your query.



Liyana Shaji

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     28 June 2020

please give facts of the case.          


Under Hindu adoption and maintenance act, an unmarried women can adopt a child if she is adult and is of sound mind. If the woman wants to adopt a male child , there should be age difference of 21 years.

In Muslim, Christian and Parsi personal laws adoption is not permitted. So in their case Guardianship and wards act is applicable.


lawyer_rajiv (9811284735) (lawyer)     19 May 2021

in this situation, adopting a child through government recognized agency called CARA is the best option.  She may adopt an orphan under government supervision.  

Ishika Neogi   26 May 2021

Yes, a single unmarried woman can adopt a child of any gender in India.( As per the Adoption Regulations 2017 issued by the ministry of Women and Child Development.)The minimum age limit of single mother adoption in India starts from 30-45 if she wishes to adopt a child of 0-3 years old.The parent who wishes to adopt a child is required to register online with CARA (Central Adoption Resource Authority) where they can state preferences and upload the documents, as mentioned on its official website. Once the registration is received, the parent can select a Specialized Adoption Agency, selected from place of residence, for Home study that is conducted through a social worker. After they are found to be eligible and suitable, they are given referrals of children legally free for adoption.

Note:The adoption of personal laws by Muslim, Christian and Parsi is not allowed. The Guardianship and Ward Act is therefore relevant in their instance.

Hope this helps.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query