LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Subroto Sarkar (Consultant)     04 September 2012

A lawyer did not keep promise- whom to complain

I am a Bengalee.I own a house at Pondicherry. I wanted to gift my house to a local Tamil lady. We approached a lawyer at Pondicherry who is also Tamil. He suggested that in the deed let us show I owe her 18 Lkh and as I cannot repay I am giving the house in lieu of. I agreed. He drafted the agreement in Tamil and explained me. I demanded an English translation. He took 1300 for it. After one month when I came to Pondicherry it was not ready. He along with the lady co-oerced  me to sign the agreement with a promise that he will supply me the English version. At the registrar office when they asked for PAN card I sensed something wrong. I asked him whether I will come under capital gains tax. He assured me negetive. I wanted an assurance in writing from the lady that she will reimburse all the taxes due. On her behlaf lawyer assured me. Till today I have not got any paper. I do not know what is written in the deed. I want to know if any action can be taken by Bar council for this deficiency of service?


 2 Replies

deepthi puthiyaveetil (student)     17 September 2012

Sir, you can file a complaint against the lawyer before the concerned state bar council. The bar council of india rules provides for provisions enabling the filing of complaints against lawyers liable of professional misconduct....




Deepthi is right, but you will have to produce some evidence in support of your complaint.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register