Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Kishore (Sr. Executive)     05 December 2010

498a - Passport renewal refused - violation of fundamental..

I'm in USA and have a 498a case pending in Indian court.

I went to renew my passport in the Indian Embassy and they refused to renew the passport stating that a Criminal case is pending and until n unless case is disposed they can't renew passport.

Local Passport Issuing Authority has also confirmed in writing that passport renewal is not possible until n unless case is disposed.

I've cited them followings

"Section 7 of RTI ACT 2005) from the time of receipt of this request as this concerns my life and liberty as governed by Article 21 of the Constitution of India on Personal Liberty that states that “the meaning of the word life also includes the right to go abroad” which is also acknowledged by The Passports Act 1967, that states “the right to travel abroad is a part of person’s personal liberty”.

&

The meaning of the word life includes the right to live in fair and reasonable conditions, right to rehabilitation after release, right to live hood by legal means and decent environment. The expanded scope of Article 21 has been explained by the Apex Court in the case of Unni Krishnan v. State of A.P. and the Apex Court itself provided the list of some of the rights covered under Article 21 on the basis of earlier pronouncements and some of them are listed below:
(1) The right to go abroad.

A.k. bindal vs. Union of India (2003) 5 SCC 163
It was held that no person should be deprived of his life and personal liberty except according to the procedure established by law.

However Indian Embassy still refuse to renew passport.

My query is 

1) Can embassy refuse the passport renewal and thus violate the Article 21 of the constitution?

I don't have any summon/warrant issued against me in the court and I'm on unconditional bail.

2) if embassy is in violation of article 21 or they shouldn't refuse passport renewal then where shall I approach to force them to renew it?

Learning

15 Replies

PJANARDHANA REDDY (ADVOCATE & DIRECTOR)     05 December 2010

MR. KISHORE YOU ARE RIGHT, PLS FIGHT FOR IT, YOU GET IT.

Arup (UNEMPLOYED)     05 December 2010

passport not renewal on the ground of criminal case pending is not the violation of art 21, because on the same ground several indian citizens already deprived.

" a Criminal case is pending and until n unless case is disposed they can't renew passport."

- please check whether any order from the concerned judge is ther or not. the power to give such order rested upon the concerned judge only.

your citations and arguement will not work till

a criminal case pending;

concerned judge orders to surrender the passport;

& you are not attending the court.

if the judge has no objection then no cause to renew the same.

1) not embassy but the court has the power. if court ordered embassy bound to follow it.

'

" I'm on unconditional bail" -  put it before the embassy.

might be your opponent fingering into the matter. - that is illegal and ofcourse a violation of art 21.

2) hc or sc.

Kishore (Sr. Executive)     05 December 2010

Hi Arup & Reddy,

Tx for reply.

1) There is no objection from judge. 

2) There is no fingering from opponent either.

3) No one else is objecting in passport renewal.

4) There is no order from court to Passport authorities to refuse the renewal.

The only problem is with the embassy. I've been struggling for past 8 months and I've to do all my work from Police Station to Regional Passport Office to get the clearance. Finally RPO send all details to the Embassy but Embassy still refuses to Renew passport. 

It seems that these Embassy people have no respect of the very own constitution under which they serve.

I've done a lot of research and couldn't find any single evidence that embassy can refuse renewal of passport based on any Passport act or any such law if there is no order from the court to refuse renewal.

I've even seen the situation where some of my friends in similar circumstances have managed to renew their passport.

Having discussed these could anyone let me know what is the next step?

1) Which application to file in HC? Writ petition or something else?

2) Which HC to file application? The one where Regional Passport Authority is located or in Delhi HC as MEA is in Delhi?

3) Against who to file application? MEA? or Regional Passport Authorities?

Grumpy (Self)     05 December 2010

Hi Kishore,

I'm also going through EXACTLY similar problem here in the High Commission of India, London. 

I've been also covering each details of my case progress on my blog - Grumpy Indian

In my case HCI London finally refused the existence of passport renewal application after 9 months of struggle to get clearance. 

I've also quoted the same Article 21 citation etc to them clearly but they finally say NO.

I would be also interested to know in which court to file the case?

Arup (UNEMPLOYED)     06 December 2010

then you both may  jointly or singly filed writ petition at sc under art 32 & 21 of coi.

study menaka gandhi vs uoi case. land mark decission and similar to you.

mrs menaka refused passport by uoi.

Arup (UNEMPLOYED)     06 December 2010

1) There is no objection from judge. 

2) There is no fingering from opponent either.

3) No one else is objecting in passport renewal.

4) There is no order from court to Passport authorities to refuse the renewal.

- check the above. one or other cause must be there. how embassy came to know your case of 498a?

if you want to go on writ, then no need to check. goi will tell the reason at court.

Uma parameswaran (lawyer)     16 December 2010

File Writ petition.

Kishore (Sr. Executive)     04 January 2011

In Writ Petition is it possible to get compensation? 

My lawyer is asking hell lot of money to file Writ Petition.

Deekshitulu.V.S.R (B.Sc, B.L)     10 February 2011

In such a situation approach the HC for a direction.

Democratic Indian (n/a)     10 February 2011

If one lawyer is asking extortionate amounts of money, find some other lawyer who is reasonable. You can file a writ of mandamus in High Court against MEA, because embassies are under control of MEA. Please note anyone can file any criminal case against anybody, anytime, anyplace. This does not mean that person will be deprived of the Constitutionally guaranteed Life and Liberty merely because a criminal case has been filed. There has to be a valid and reasonable reason to infringe upon the Constitutionally guaranteed Fundamental Rights.

Arup (UNEMPLOYED)     16 February 2011

My lawyer is asking hell lot of money to file Writ Petition.

- YES THEY CHARGED.

IF YOU OR ANYONE ON BEHALF OF YOU MAY SPARE TIME THEN YOU FILE THE WRIT AS A 'PETITIONER IN PERSON.

ALSO OPEN A SEPERATE THREAD ASKING LAWYER OF YOUR NEIGHBOURING AREA.

PJANARDHANA REDDY (ADVOCATE & DIRECTOR)     16 February 2011

GO AS PARTY IN PERSON IN H.C

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register