New LIVE Course: Learn the Practical Nuances of IPR Drafting by Adv. Gautam Matani. Register Now!
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

cm jain sir (ccc)     01 May 2012

498a !hope, it should give some good results.


'A Wedding Gift' is set for May release

NEW DELHI: 'A Wedding Gift' is a film that dares to question Section 498A of the Indian Penal Code to show how it can be misused by anyone to file a false dowry case.

Made under the banner of Aliya Productions, the film is expected to be released next month. The music has been composed by Ray & Brotherhood.

Veteran actor Farida Jalal told that she had agreed to act in the film ‘498A – A Wedding Gift’ when its producer-director Suhaib Ilyasi related a brief synopsis, because she felt this was a malaise that should be highlighted.

Made on a modest budget of Rs 50 million, the film also stars Alok Nath, Sushma Seth, Reema Lagoo, Colgate Ad boy Harsh Nagar, Supriya Karnik, Deepak Tijori, and the new face from Delhi Shrishti Gautam, apart from a look-alike of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh - Gurmeet Singh, a 65-year-old Jangpura resident who said he is often asked to pose for photos as he looks like Dr Singh.

Veteran ghazal singer Ghulam Ali has rendered a patriotic song and has also acted in the film. "What is so surprising in this? I found the wordings of the song beautiful, music touched me and hence I agreed to sing. This song in any case can be for any country. It’s a song dedicated to one’s own watan. When I was asked to perform on screen, I was initially skeptical but later got into the spirit of it".

‘And why not," he asked, adding, "India and Pakistan were one country. There were two brothers till siyasat played its dirty game by separating them and creating a siyasi border in 1947."

Ilyasi, who had earlier gained fame as the maker of India’s first crime show that exposed real criminals, ‘India’s Most Wanted’ on Doordarshan leading to many arrests, appeared before the Committee of Petitions of the RajyaSabha go give for his views on Section 498A of the Indian Penal Code.

Ilyasi was asked to give suggestions since his film deals with the freedom that this section gives for any woman or her kin to file false cases against a husband or his family.

The Committee is examining amendments in Section 498A of the Indian Penal Code, 1860. Parliament is considering amending the law after having received numerous complaints from the civil society about misuse of the same.


 6 Replies

N K Jain (.Asso. prof. Mathematics)     01 May 2012

Dear sir

My wife after filing 498a against me  has been absonding from first to ten consecutive  dates from trail court in Bangalore.Now she has appeared inthe court with a wittness. What will the status of my case. Kindly advise me. With regards. N.K Jain

Dwarak (Propreitor)     01 May 2012

Provisions of law apart , it is the attitude of he judiciary is often the cause for encouraging misuse. We have a situation in the family  where the wife files 498a and DV 5 and 12 months after the husband's DP  as counterblast. Even after seeking 8 adjournments the wife fails to  submit a single piece of evidence to support her petition/ affidavit in he DV case. Despite repeated pleas, all that the husband's lawyers could accomplish is a Rs. 200 compensation payable to the respondent  by the petitioner.

cm jain sir (ccc)     01 May 2012

Dear mr jain,

If your advocate is good then he will extract the benefit of non-appearances for trial. why warrants were not issued in this case.

N K Jain (.Asso. prof. Mathematics)     01 May 2012

Dear sir

My wife ran away from home, taking 4 years child and filed 498a and also filed ahuge amount  for her maintance

under section 125. I tried all types of negotions but of no avail. Status of my case is given below,

1) She has given the following in her objetcion in trail court  that  I  can live  with her  in seperate house of 3BHK

without my old parents. As i  am the only son so i can not leave them alone.

2) She is living in 1BHK house in low- locality without intial amenites she has changed the school of my son

without  my cosent by submitting false affadavit that she is sole gaurdian of her son.

3) got the custody of my child by trail court.,4) she alleged that I used to harras her for dowardy and did non inform her tht it is my secod marriage.My marriage was performed i  Arya Samaj Temple in one day without  any dowary,any pomp and show in the prensence of her widow mother and relatives I had submitted  of the infomations in affadavit that it is my second marriage.This lie is proved  in court. 5) Now she did not appeared in 498a from first to ten consequentive dates, Now she appeared in the cout with awittness.Can I filed any case against her to prevent this mony exhortion racket .Kindly give advise. Regrds N K Jain

cm jain sir (ccc)     01 May 2012

Lot of loopholes are there as per your post. Please attend siff meetings in your locality. you will feel strength and guidelines will be given after a detail discussion with members.

Dont worry u r not alone here. we all have the same story!

cm jain sir (ccc)     01 May 2012

pls check ur pm

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register