Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Vasant Kumar (Lawyer)     02 October 2015

498 a r/w 406 i.p.c.

Dear All,

Please enlighten me on this below mentioned query:

Complainant had filed a case for 498A and 406 of I.P.C. Both complainant and respondent are Muslims (governed by Shia) law.

Marriage took place between them in the year 1986 and three children were born out of wedlock.

In the year 2002 husband got pronounced divorce through Imam of Jama Masjid and the wife left the matrimonial house since then and both parties does not have any contact with each other. 

But, in the year 2005 she filed CAW cell complaint narrating the incidents of the time when the marriage was subsisting between them i.e. from 1986 to 2002 and which resulted in registration of an FIR .

Chargsheet filed in the year 2007 (as husband got anticipatory bail) and judge took cognizance in the same year.

My query is:

a) Can a CAW cell complaint be entertained which resulted in registration of FIR and filing of CS when divorce took place between the parties prior to that? if yes, then is there any limitation for this because a wife cannot come and say that husband used to beat me asked money etc during our marriage that too after 3 years of talaq.

b) Can a wife file CAW cell complaint after talaq?

c) Is the talaq pronounced by the Imam of jama masjid is a valid talaq.

Please guide.

Learning

8 Replies

SAINATH DEVALLA (LEGAL CONSULTANT)     03 October 2015

The proceedings before the CAW cell are reconcillatory and voluntary only,the Caw cells have no power to take coercive actiion.The proceedings of these cells are judicial or quasi-judicial,nor they can issue summons to appear before it.The power is vested with judiciary only.

The Caw cell can send only its report only.Yes ,the wife can file a complaint after talaq.

Vasant Kumar (Lawyer)     03 October 2015

But sir Is there any limitation to file a complaint because in this case after divorce (3 years) the wife files complaint in caw cell which resulted in registration of FIR in (2005)

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     04 October 2015

Originally posted by : Vasant Kumar
But sir Is there any limitation to file a complaint because in this case after divorce (3 years) the wife files complaint in caw cell which resulted in registration of FIR in (2005)

The law colleges have so far been teaching that civil liability and criminal liability are different. Kindly enlighten this forum if you know any provision app;lying law of limitation on criminal case.

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     04 October 2015

Does criminal liability extinguish with divorce?

SAINATH DEVALLA (LEGAL CONSULTANT)     04 October 2015

I say criminal liability exists even after divorce.Wife can file any criminal case

priyanka jaiswal (none)     09 May 2016

Dear All, Please enlighten me on this below mentioned query: Complainant had filed a case for 498A and 406 and 34 of I.P.C. during the pandency of case my husband snd in-laws wants to compromise. they are ready to return all cash which was demanded as dowry during - before and after the marriage.it is about 765000/-and they are ready to return 825000/- including my litigation expenses.. we had already sign a compromise deed ..in this deed ,only mention about 498a and consented divorce.. no one talk about my stridhan. so can i request to the court at the time of "gawahi" to recovery of my stridhan or not??

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     09 May 2016

Originally posted by : priyanka jaiswal
Dear All,
Please enlighten me on this below mentioned query:
Complainant had filed a case for 498A and 406 and 34 of I.P.C.
during the pandency of case my husband snd in-laws wants to compromise. they are ready to return all cash which was demanded as dowry during - before and after the marriage.it is about 765000/-and they are ready to return 825000/- including my litigation expenses.. we had already sign a compromise deed ..in this deed ,only mention about 498a and consented divorce.. no one talk about my stridhan.
so can i request to the court at the time of "gawahi" to recovery of my stridhan or not??

Probably you have missed the bus now.

you should haver seen this before signing the compromise.

Now they have to approach High Court for quashing of FIR on the basis of the compromise.  In such case there is nothing like gawahi.

priyanka jaiswal (none)     09 May 2016

thanks to sudhir sir...

i have another question.... compromise deed is not ragisterd ..and  my case is on the stage of charge. court has to confirm the charge on accused according to FIR to the very next hearing..

sir please suggest me what i do

value of my stridhan is 2-3 lacs and i hv some audio clips and pics  which is clearly says that thay hv my stuff and jewellries ..

i dont want alimony i just want my stridhan

my family dont fight this case any more they  want to my remarriage that's why i m pressurise   by them

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register