Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

(Guest)

498 a, dv

I have 2 questions:

1)If vindictive ex-wife foists false cases of 498 A and DV on one,who runs the case.Is it her own lawyer or public prosecutor?

2)I have been awarded interim maintenance of 150OO rupees.They have appealed in the High court saying it isn`t enough.Once the high court awards maintenence,if I appeal in the Supreme Court,how long does one reasonably expect the case to run?

Learning

11 Replies

V R SHROFF (Sr. ADVOCATE Bombay High Court Mob: 9892432152)     07 February 2013

1)If vindictive ex-wife foists false cases of 498 A and DV on one,who runs the case.Is it her own lawyer or public prosecutor?

Ans: 498A: PP  

DV: own Lawyer

2)I have been awarded interim maintenance of 150OO rupees.They have appealed in the High court saying it isn`t enough.Once the high court awards maintenence,if I appeal in the Supreme Court,how long does one reasonably expect the case to run? 

Let HC decide first, 

SC time Depending on Law Points, complicatins of case, at HC Level 

(Guest)

Thank you sir...The lower court has awarded the intermim maintenance after which the lawyer took the lump sum of 1.5 lakhs for a number of months since the case was hoisted.He then decided to appeal against the judgement.My impression from this site and Indian Kanoon is that cases in the Supreme court take atleast 18 months to be heard and come to an end.My case in the lower court will come to an end in the next few months.So they`ll have to apply again for maintenance and I don`t plan to give any more money .They have no intention of giving divorce as it`s been 4 years so I won`t be handing over any more of my money.

rajiv_lodha (zz)     07 February 2013

See, u have been awarded Interim Maint. This order will run til final decision of the case. Final order wil merge this Interim Maint to the final maint. In other words, Interim maint will cease, final maint order wil prevail. Final order may increase the ammount or retain it too.

Appeal of interim n final are different. If final order is passed in between, the pending IO appeal will become infructuous

SANTOSH KUMAR PRUSTY (ADVOCATE)     07 February 2013

As per your question no 1- 498 A is to be conducted by p.p. ,Addl.P.P,or Asst.P.P .                                                                          As per  your question no-2  in Mat Case her Advocate will conduct the case.                                                                                   As per your 3rd question there is no time limit for disposal of your case.

(Guest)

Thank you sirs....For background,I have put the divorce case 24 months ago following which wife claimed maintenance and she was awarded interim maintenance.Following her appeal to High court,my advocate has advised not to give the maintenance anymore and to file appeal in the Supreme court as otherwise they will drag the case endlessly.

2 Queries sir and will be grateful for your answers.

1) What`s the approximate time period for the hearing and disposal for interim maintenance cases in Supreme court?

2)Once the divorce case in the lower court is over and if I lose,will the lower court automatically allot maintenance to the wife or wil she have to file a separate petition for final maintenance.

(Guest)

Hello,learned sirs...posting to see if anyone can answer the above queries,thanks

A . K . SETH (ADVOCATE--LEGAL ADVISOR)     13 February 2013

Court can ALSO allow PRIVATE COUNSEL of the complainant to "assist" the Public Prosecutor. akseth advocate:;;;aksethadvct@gmail.com

(Guest)
Originally posted by : red

Thank you sirs....For background,I have put the divorce case 24 months ago following which wife claimed maintenance and she was awarded interim maintenance.Following her appeal to High court,my advocate has advised not to give the maintenance anymore and to file appeal in the Supreme court as otherwise they will drag the case endlessly.

2 Queries sir and will be grateful for your answers.

1) What`s the approximate time period for the hearing and disposal for interim maintenance cases in Supreme court?

2)Once the divorce case in the lower court is over and if I lose,will the lower court automatically allot maintenance to the wife or wil she have to file a separate petition for final maintenance.

Dont know why are you so worried about interim maintenance, its just interim alimony man.

Not permanent, until the case comes to an end its a momentary relief for your wife.  There is no approximate period as such are not prescribed in any law book.  I think there is no need of going to supreme court for lessening the IA awarded.

Instead go for speedy proceedings in the family court about your divorce, already 2 years over, ask the lawyer to take shorter dates, finish the case.

By the way you can always as the judge to give you time to cough up money for IA awarded.

What do you mean by if you lose the case?  Like if you dont get divorce?  If you dont get divorce, go to high court, appeal there.  Family court wont tell you pay money if divorce petition itself does not stand.  In turn you can as I said go to high court, and in the mean time can ask for refund of money that youve already paid to her.

As far as maintenance goes, wife has to file application for alimony each year, 

(Guest)

Thank you Sujay...The criteria are so strict that it would be a surprise if divorce is granted.So it`s a question of wearing the other side down I think.And that`s why my lawyer suggests to appeal to the Supreme court as a way of delaying payments.That`s why I wanted to know how long it takes the Supreme  Court to take up cases.My impression is about 9 months atleast.

Is that so?Sounds pretty tedious.And can we contest it each year if circumstances have changed?

(Guest)
Originally posted by : red

Thank you Sujay...The criteria are so strict that it would be a surprise if divorce is granted.So it`s a question of wearing the other side down I think.And that`s why my lawyer suggests to appeal to the Supreme court as a way of delaying payments.That`s why I wanted to know how long it takes the Supreme  Court to take up cases.My impression is about 9 months atleast.

Is that so?Sounds pretty tedious.And can we contest it each year if circumstances have changed?

Thats the way it goes man, IA awarded, you go for reduction of alimony in HC or SC, you may succeed or you may not succeed.

You come back to Familiy court and tell that HC or SC has lowered the IA.

She will contest it that you have such n such source of income and that you can as well pay whatever she has asked for... all this might happen depending upon the other party, here your wife.

Once the divorce case is over, in favor of you, then there are two options, one is peramanent alimony and second is monthly maintenance [ here each year she has to file an application for alimony, you may tell, due to change of circumstances, your income is low now, and contest, court will look into matter and decide on monthly maintenance, you not satisfied with court order, again go to HC or SC, get the amount of alimony refixed, in the mean time she might have secured a job, you go in search of salary details of hers, produce before court and tell she is earning, so I wont pay etc.

But the point is she has to file a application every year thereafter for getting money, and you have to do all this circus every year to pay money/reduce/increase/not pay etc.

My suggestion would be that, instead of carrying on the grudge that youd already have by now on her, pay her some hefty some and get rid of the person dude.

1 Like

(Guest)

I have tried but the amount they are expecting is too exorbitant,so I have to wait till they reduce their expectations.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register