LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

upkar gupta (lecturer)     02 September 2012

2 marriage without divorce??


hello experts..

i just want to know that is it possible for a hindu man to remarry without getting a divorce from his wife because wife is not ready to give divorce at any cost.

And if he does not show his second marriage, how can a wife claim that he get married?

AND one IMP thing

if a person did so.. what is a punishment for this crime?


 14 Replies

anuradha goyal (member)     02 September 2012

If a person contracts second marriage without getting divorce from first wife he can be punished for bigamy

Anish Thakur 7018812737 (advocate)     02 September 2012

no,its not possible for a hindu male or female to get marry to other person without divorce from first marriage and if he /she do so ,the case under sec 494 IPC can b registered aginst him which is punishable upto imprisonment of 7 years and fine .

Ranee....... (NA)     02 September 2012

He can not marry without divorce.But he can have a live-in relation with the lady without marriage.

anil (worker)     02 September 2012

Is the live-in relationship can be maintained as leal relation without taking divorce from first wife/husband?

Amit (NA)     03 September 2012


What are those safeguards?

upkar gupta (lecturer)     03 September 2012

what are the various ways to prove his second marriage coz he will not show it and he will take every preventive measure.

rajiv_lodha (zz)     04 September 2012

U r right, no fool will declare his 2nd marriage! Andwife can not prove his 2nd marraige at all if he takes some necessary precautions.

Rule of thumb is: If 2nd partner is non complaining, nobody can harm this husband legally!

Ranee....... (NA)     05 September 2012



Nikki, in documents like Railway tickets if he avails from office, recent voter list etc..or his official documents as nominee

Amit (NA)     05 September 2012

I don't think being nominee would be of any consequence since any one can be a nominee. Voter's list, census data, ration card, company records etc should be taken care not to have the wife's name at all.

Is it a good idea to create a trust whenever the financial matters are dealt with? Like purchasing a house, insurance nominee, fixed deposits etc. Can they be in the name of the trust (whose members would be the husband and the second wife)?

Ranee....... (NA)     05 September 2012

The relation with nominee is to be given in the form.

vishak (manager)     05 September 2012

if all fails, you may hire pvt detective services and they would be after them to catch them in some soft / friendly mode..

Amit (NA)     05 September 2012

@vishak, man don't know which era you are in.

Live-ins are allowed by even Supreme court. Just gathering evidence of a live-in is not going to be of any help except increasing the alimony for wife.

vishak (manager)     06 September 2012

Dear Amit


I really didn't mean it in lighter way. However  i know & agree  with u  but it  can be  supprotive evidence


Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register