LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

ganesh (advocate)     15 September 2011

138 ni act

the accused in a 138 case didnt enter into the witness box to rebut the presumption. the complaint was filed by a power of attorney of  finance company. the power of attorney alone gave sworn statement and enter the witness box.  the accused main defence is that he issued blank cheque for loan to purchase vehicle and that he issued blank cheque to the complainant. plz give me advice that whther the complaint is maintainable and that we can draw a adverse inference against the accused as he didnt enter the witness box. plz give me judgement to that regard.

Learning

2 Replies

sheela subbarao (Advocate)     16 September 2011

First of all u need to ascertain about the whether there was any legally enforceable whether in part or in full. If u can prove there was no debt payable to the complainant on the date of cheque drawn, then u can defend the case properly. What is the amount on cheque and whether any document created by the complainant against the consideration? Better you put the accused into witness box and in his evidence by affidavit explain all the possible defense u can take. If you have lost the opprtunity, you can rely on

1.2008 AIR SCW 738

Krishna Janardhan Bhat V/S Dattatreya G.Hegde

2.     ILR 2008 KAR 4629

Shiva Murthy V/S Amruthraj

3.     2006 (3) SCC (Cri) 30

Narayana Menon @ Mani V/S State of Kerala & another.

sheela subbarao (Advocate)     17 September 2011

Give defenses that you have in your case with gist of the case, so that I can help you. Actually the law says, the accused need not enter the witness box. But  should be in a position to prove that,  the cheque drawn is not for any consideration and that there was no debt on the date mentioned in the cheque in question.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register