Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Legal Queries (Analyst)     25 September 2012

Women's legal right as per hindu act

Hello,

My mother had a lawful share in an ancestral property that was built by her grandfather. After the demise of her mother, my mother's brother decided to sell the ancestral property for want of funds. Since a WILL for division or assignment of property rights was not created, my mother's brother called my mother for signing and registering a power of attorney to give him rights to complete the documentation and execute sale agreements, etc. for the sale of the property. He verbally stated that 1/2 the sum received from the sales proceeds shall be given to her after the sale of the property.

After my mother signed the power of attorney and the same was registered (in U.P. - property is in UP), my mother's brother has gone ahead, completed all formalities and has pocketed all the money which is a substantial sum. He does not respond to my mother well and is showing no intent of giving her 1/2 share to her. She had sent letters to him requesting for a copy of the sale agreement and other relevant papers, but did not respond to any of them. She is somehow managed to travel to U.P. where the property was sold and managed to get all the documentation from the sub-registrar's office. She has now decided to file a legal suit against her brother to claim her right as per Hindu Act. However we are staying in Karnataka and her brother is staying in U.P. My mother is a senior citizen and may have challenges in traveling to U.P., discussing and co-ordinating with a lawyer, etc. Under such circumstances is it possible to file a legal case for claiming her right from Karnataka itself (rather than U.P. where the property existed) on medical grounds for such a case? 

Would appreciate your help and feedback.

Thanks and Regards

Learning

3 Replies

S K Pal (Regional Mgr)     25 September 2012

My husband is having the family propery , but we were staying at Mumbai we used to comes once in a year , after the expiry of my inlaws my husband younger brother   are not allowing to enter in the house when we have the seperate floor and seperate entry , we have complained the same to local police station also but still no positive action , at present we are staying in the rented house .

Pls advice what we should do.

Thanks 

Advocate B. M. (Advocate)     25 September 2012

Swetha,

The suit will lie in the jurisdiction of the court where the property lies. however your mother can execute a Power of Attorney in your name to have the suit filed on her behalf and to attend to all requirements thereto for and on her behalf.

B.M.

1 Like

Legal Queries (Analyst)     25 September 2012

Thank You for your response Sir. I know its a premature and a vague question to ask, but how much time could such a legal suit take? We have the registered sale agreement copy where my mother's name is mentioned along with her brother's name, but she was not called to sign the documents along with her brother and the buyer, since he has used the power of attorney. Besides this we have the copy of the registered power of attorney. Hence it seems like a simple and straight cut case, however I wanted some idea on how many years such proceedings may take.

Regards

Shweta

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register