Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

NATARAJAN IYER (Proprietor)     24 September 2015

The Cry of a Mother

The Cry of a Mother.

Today, it was a painful evening. Within the Court Premises.

I witnessed a mother of my old-acquaintance, in tears and her question to me, to which I could only provide Silence as the answer.

In hindi, was her question

" KYA KAROON AGAR MERA BETA ANDHAR SE MAR GAYA THO ? "

( What do I do, if my son, dies from within ? ) ( If his mind collapses and dies )

It was one of those rare ocassions when the thought crossed my mind

" WHY DO WOMEN MARRY, IF THEY CANNOT BLEND WITH HUSBAND AND HIS FAMILY ? SUCH WOMEN MIGHT AS WELL REMAIN UNMARRIED SPINSTERS AND CARE FOR THEIR PARENTS, INSTEAD OF GETTING PROMOTED TO THE STATUS OF WIFE AND MOTHER-HOOD.

THE WOMEN WHOSE UNDERSTANDING OF MATRIMONIAL LIFE, IS FAR FETCHED FROM REALITY, WOULD DO GOOD TO MEN AND SOCIETY IF THEY REMAIN UNMARRIED.

WHY ENTER THE LIFE OF A MAN AND ROCK HIS LIFE-BOAT ON THE ROUGH WEATHERS ON THE OCEAN OF LIFE ? "

It was his second marriage. His first marriage, during his stint in the USofA, had ended in a mutual consent divorce, around 13 years ago.

Without naming him, let me say he was one Mr.Vikram.

I had received a call from him more than a month ago, saying his wife had both the kids with her and is now at her father's place and has filed a 498A, 506 and DV against him.

He is a highly successful businessman and had married his own employee. It was a love marriage and they had two wonderful sons.

But that was the past.

His father-in-law, a former wrestling champion and a Chemist by Profession, had started stationing himself at his son-in-law's newly built house worth more than a few crores of rupees.

He would start poking his nose into the wear and tear of the matrimonial life of his daughter and son-in-law.

In order to keep him pleased and at a safe, healthy and dignified distance, the son-in-law had gifted father-in-law, a vehicle, a refridgerator, a washing machine and what not ?

But the father-in-law never seemed to tire of meddling with his daughter's matrimonial life.

Mother-in-law ( The wrestling champion's wife ) was no less.

She would frequently comment about both grand-sons ( Aged around 7 / 8 yrs ) drinking Two Litres of Milk each, every single day in addition to pampered and rich life-style.

With the wife, frequently influenced and brain-washed by her parents, everything started becoming an issue between the couple.

From shoes to socks, From food to family-outing, …etc etc etc it was a daily-fight-over any and all issues as the family scenario. Every fight compounded and blown out of proportion by dear father-in-law who probably felt his daughter's family was his empire.

ONE DAY, IT EXPLODED.

MEN ARE EXTREMELY PATIENT, BUT FOR HOW LONG ?

WHEN MEN BURST, THEY DO NOT JUST BURST. THEY EXPLODE.

A MAN's ANGER IS NOT TO BE TREATED LIGHTLY.

THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT my businessman acquaintance did.

During one such skirmish, the former wrestling champion did the blunder of intimidating his son-in-law by saying

" I WILL BREAK YOUR LEGS IF YOU FIGHT WITH MY DAUGHTER "

That sealed matters. The son-in-law and his parents promptly asked his father-in-law to leave, that very instant.

The wife complicated matters saying “ If my father has to leave, I too shall leave and shall not return unless and until you and your parents fall at each of our feet and apologize and produce such an apology in writing too

Now that was the end of any peaceful resolution. He asked her too, to leave.

I asked him why he could not have just left the house and returned after some time with his anger subsided, instead of retorting on the spot.

His answer was too perfect for me to utter a word more.

Here was his response in Hindi and English.

" DEKHO, MERAE HEE GHAR MAE MUJH PE HUKUM CHALAANAE WAALA JO BHI HO,  USKO WAHAAN SE NIKAALDHENAA MERA FARZ BANTHAA HAI. 

( Whoever it might be, trying to dominate me in my own house, that person needs to be removed from that place and such a removal is my duty ) ( The remaining conversation in English is as mentioned below ).

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE MAN OF THE HOUSE AND AS THE HEAD OF MY FAMILY, I AM THE MAN OF THE HOUSE AND NOBODY ELSE. 

THAT IS WHY IT IS CALLED A MARRIAGE BETWEEN A MAN AND A WOMAN. 

I have married that woman and neither her father nor her brother.

In one family, there can be only one head of the family and that is the Man of that house.

Mujhse pehalae merae father, thae Man of the House and Family Head.

Now, In my family,I am the head and I am the Man.

BUS. BAATH KATHAM. "

HE HAD HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD. 

Point Made.

There can be only ONE Man of the House who is also the Head of the Family.

That was a strong hard hitting statement that every MAN will agree to.

So, I kept quiet since I too agreed with his view-point about the MAN OF THE HOUSE.

Now, the wrestler father-in-law left, but along with his daughter and grand-sons.

He got in touch with his former school-mate, a reputed advocate retired-from-practise and the ball got rolling.

FIRs filed and Arrest pending.

For some time, he was very tensed. He was more concerned about his aged parents and his brother's children.

One of his brother had expired a few months ago, leaving behind his children and yet another brother had settled down abroad.

The wife had named his sister, a high ranking official at Delhi and she had to come down as well.

She was working out the modalities. The entire family was tensed.

So, in the mean-time, I had asked him to leave the city first, head to an ashram for some quiet time, for the much-needed peace of mind and family time in peace, around 200 Kms from Bangalore, in another state. He did that and returned along with his advocate towards the legal formalities for the Anticipatory Bail.

With the AB obtained, he did what any Man would do. " Just move away from the others, for some time, in SILENCE. "

That was when I met his family at the court and heard his mother cry those lines

( What do I do, if my son, dies from within ? ) ( If his mind collapses and dies )

I told them to remain brave and it is now a ball set rolling not only in the court, but in TIME as well.

So, I advised them on the same lines that I have done earlier on LCI and told him that his confidence and mental balance is what decides the fate of his family.

I provided some strategic inputs in his particular case, especially some tips to get his father-in-law rightfully nailed by law and thereby keeping his wrestler instincts in check.

Matrimonial Life is not a wrestling ground to break the legs of son-in-law.

We discussed about the twist and turn the case might take, his children, their education, the bills,…etc.

Before parting, I told him to maintain as normal a life as possible since life and business cannot come to a halt due to a family matter.

As time progresses, every problem will get solved.

I assured him and thus and returned. But my mind was occupied with the cry of that mother

Learning

14 Replies

KS Johal   24 September 2015

Natarajan I understand exactly what you have said in the above scenario. These issues arise in reality and we need to be able to confront these in a realistic way. You have provided exceptional service and support to the person that you helped. I agree with you that these things will continue at the same time. We must also continue with our normal daily routine tasks especially relating to business and work. I like the way you have expressed your thoughts regarding the above scenario. Well done. KS Johal

@ G L N Prasad

I do not know if you meant anything adverse or plainly mocking or just a honest observation without any pun intended, by saying it has all ingredients for a movie.

I reported an incident here that actually took place and I felt that mentioning it

on this forum would also serve the purpose of highlighting to readers, the impact that

a matrimonial dispute has on aged parents.

I get to watch many incidents daily but i convert that observation into a trigger for 

deep thought about Life.

Making a movie out of such observations in a MATRIMONIAL DISPUTE would be plain mockery

of someone's personal life and I do not dip to such levels.

I believe that the world is one huge family and Life is RESPONSIBILITY FIRST, RIGHTS NEXT.

(Guest)

Saw many such situations, money, ego, attitude problems, dowry taking, dowry giving, education, all these things have along with human emotions have just made marital life a very complex thing.

Finally if one wants to marry, it comes with a package of problems as wel as benefits/blessings, one cant get one without the other, or else one should not marry like many people have done, staying bachelors for life. 

The secret is having a proper balance of all things which are related to marital life.  Balance, howe much and how far is a subjective matter.  Wishing people who are in for divorce who have kids to give reconciliation a try, those who have already taken a step toward divorce who are issueless, let them not comit same mistake again, what they did last time.  For people who are about to jump the gun, all the best !

SuperHero (Manager)     24 September 2015

Divorce rate is increasing day by day, especially with interference of In-Laws, Friends, Media, Money and Western culture.

The Couples and BOTH there Families should be well counselled now a days before they enter into wedlock. Set the right expectations.

The moment something goes wrong in a marital relationship, everybody suggests a Women to look for a job so that she can be independent.

Many Women says I want to be independent. But in the word independent itself it says we are IN DEPENDENT.

Very Sad to hear such statements from elderly Parents especially Mother.

At that age they should enjoy with Grand kids and lead a peaceful life. 

Especially a Mother's HEART shouldn't be hurted so much.

Too much self-centered attitude, you see, brings, you see, isolation. Result: loneliness, fear, anger. The extreme self-centered attitude is the source of suffering.

@ Johal, Gyan, Super Hero and the Others

Each of you has come out with words of wisdom.

At times, when I halt at traffic junctions, I see women in rickshaws, chat non-stop and lengthily with the Rickshaw drivers.

Then, the chat extends to Facebook and other media, with another set of people.

I have always had a question in my mind

" These women, who chat away end-lessly with strangers, find it a nuisance to chat with own husband.

If they were so freely indulgent with the husband, many issues could just vanish ."

But everything has to come to an end. Both Good and Bad.

Let us see when this matrimonial bombing comes to an end and which generation benefits.

That Generation is a lucky one.

Law_Learner (Asst. Mgr.)     24 September 2015

Natarajan,

It's sounds like a similar situation of thousands of mothers, husbands, sisters, brothers and so on. I really appreciate your efforts for supportiing your friend and her mother. 

What I feel is that women now a days want to dominate the very and every person who they find in her NEW HOME. Now a days that new home becomes a wrestling ground for her. Her parents play role of her coach. Everyone want her / his girl or boy to live a happy married life but in case of a girl her parents want their girl to be on a dominating side. I have seen married couples who are lucky and cherish love and respect for each other but on the other side there are couples who are just in relation because of society pressure and  and fear of law. I have pity on those people but I hear from others about those that just being in relation is far more important than being in happy relation. 

I wish happy times for your frend and her mother.

Regards

LL

SuperHero (Manager)     25 September 2015

@Natarajan Sir,

To my understanding it is not the problem of Chatting. 

The Problem is Communication and not Listening with an open mind. Both Husband and Wife should ACCEPT we both are imperfect people and we should complete each other.

The other person listens half, understands half and acts in half understanding.

Also Expectations are high and Comparing with others..

Especially Real Love grows after many many years of marriage..until then it is a mutual need, dependence and some security.

Our earlier generations have lived a full Life without much Electricity, Money, Electronic Machines etc., Now they are being pushed to Old age homes and they are increasing too.....

Today's generations even kids need an Iphone, Ipad, that tab, this gadget.. and they need there own bed rooms..they keep playing one game or the other in those tiny machines...and they might become Machines too one day.....

Teenagers they need latest gadgets and what not....Where does it end???

This is just the beginning...

NATARAJAN IYER (Proprietor)     25 September 2015

@ Super Hero

Excellent Analysis.

God alone knows what society is being carved for the future - twenty years from today.

I myself could not have worded it better.

I liked these lines of yours... True Indeed

The other person listens half, understands half and acts in half understanding.

Also Expectations are high and Comparing with others..

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     26 September 2015

In India it is always and ever (always and ever) the girl and his parents have a duty to be proved wrong. Birth of a daughter is a big crime for which there is no mercy or pardon. The laws are made to protect wives but these laws mostly maligned of being misused. The allegations of misuse are not 100% false but not 100% true as well. Irony is that the real defaulter are so cruel that inmost cases the victim girl is badly demoralized.

I walk alone (Asst Manager)     26 September 2015

Having agree with each one of people's view here, I want to share my views.
Rather than teaching our kids how should they behave/act/re-act, we need to teach some lesson to ourselves. I strongly feel, its not the couple who needs to the counselling or doubt clearing session. The people who needs these sessions are the parents. Having said that, I'm not stating that they are wrong, they are absolute right, but thats in their mind. but what is the point of imposing their likes, choices and decisions upon us. The couple are also grown ups.  right? (At least eligible for marriage means so) then why the decision are being imposed to the couple. I think every parent who is fueling the cases of their sons/daughters, must also analyse themselves, have not they faced any problems/big-small fights/dis-agreements during their martial life? Did they have buttery smooth relationship? & did their parent fueled their relatioships to flame? No right...? Then why they are doing so to their children? Why they are not teaching the lesson of persistency to their children? WHY?

Now coming back to the couples, each couple must understand that each imperfection has its own charm & instead of poking it out in-front of the society they must work together to make not to break. Of-cource, a situation, where it doesnt worth time, couple are free to move apart from each other. We can not expect a relationship to be perfect since its started. The couple must work it out, together, to make it happen.

We look here & there to solve our problems & some times problems gets sorted out from our life too, but we dont find the root cause of the problem, u know why? because the problem is in our mind, our thought process & it just gets hidden & we never speak up.

Just imagine, once after 498A, 406 was started & when the SC found out the flaws and mis-uses of it, the law never be ammended. After that, many PM, Prez changed, even Political Party changed. but, no-one was bothered to ammend any changes in it & even today too no-one is ready to do it. Just imagine, 1 ammendments could have made many differences, could have saved so many families, but again, who wants? Once we're out of it, we stop thinking about it too..... & we call ourselves socials.

NATARAJAN IYER (Proprietor)     26 September 2015

@ Sridhar

Well Said...But I think that is the age-old evil in society. The Genuine Ones always struggle a lot and learn to be street-smart after all hardships. They learn it the hard way.

The Bad ones are street smart and put that smartness to wrong use. They search for loop-holes and oppurtunities, do not hesitate to violate the law, hold no ethics and go on a spree of evil.

So, I guess, this age-old battle between the Good and Evil, is there from time immemorial.

The day the good ones wake up and become assertive both in defence and attack, the world is less by ignorant people, by one person.

So on and so forth.

@ I walk alone

Your posts are filled with meaning and REALITY.

It just cannot be disputed.

Well Said.

But political decisions and policy making happen in a different method.

Some day, I shall post an article about that.

I walk alone (Asst Manager)     26 September 2015

Hi Natarajan Sir

I'm very much well aware of the difference you want to mention. I dont know our political leaders are way to scared or knowingly want to keep their eye away from the problems of their own society... From a distant a voice raised and someone just lowers the volume. Some days back, I was reading an article about some "daughter of some re-knowned Film Director" (Herself being a Documentory direct) wants to bring the reality of 498A herself, but, now, where is she? I have not heard anything of her ,of-late. Being a victim myself, I was hoping something out of it, unfortunately, it is India. The preamble of "Freedom of speech" is not exactly present here.

A controversy gets disposed, no-one wants to discuss and come to a fruitful conclusion of "THE MOST CONTROVERTIAL 498A" knowing that fact that some/most of times this is mis-used. It has now become a tool of money making machine, for Lawyers, for Police, for Girls... and whats more, we "The Most rational-social Animals" are fueling it, by means not doing anything against the mis-use"

Believe me Sir, you & I will keep of speaking about it for Life & nothing's gonna happen.

Just to cite you an example; at the begining of my case, I was so devasted & alone, I throught of registering a complaint to Indian Human Rights Division & State Indian Human Rights Division & also writting a letter to PMO in his E-Gov site. but its been a year, & I've not got a reply (anything good/bad) from any of the receipnt of that complaint or mail, it made me think, I was quite responsible enough to vote & select the person sitting in PMO or CMO, but are they not responsible enough just to revert my query??? Now I hope, you got my view in this.

NATARAJAN IYER (Proprietor)     26 September 2015

@ I Walk Alone

No No, every protest has a result.

See, that is how a democracy functions.

A push here and a pull there

A pull here and a push there.

How do you think 498A and other similar laws are being diluted and even the judiciary has labelled it as LEGAL TERRORISM ?

It takes time. For Various Reasons.

I will write an article about that - An Eye Opener - Some other day

Well, as for your communication to the PMO,...etc you really need to follow-up.

Trust me, it works.

Follow-up till your job is done.

For the line about some person's news vanishing, well, that is LIFE

Here Today, Gone Tomorrow

Our Lives are all that. 

Like the dew drop of water on the leaf of a plant.

At the tip of the leaf.

Any moment, the dew drop either falls or vapourizes.

So too is human life.

Now that is Philosophy and the world of Spirituality.

That is why it is said

The law of the land ends at one stage and all that is operative is purely the Law of Nature.

(Guest)

Case, No case, that case, this case.

If one wants to marry, one has to take chance, give it the best, ask the best from one's partner when you are giving best, you need to ask the best back too!, Handle in-laws, handle old age parents, take advice from friends, take advice from parents, parent in-laws, take advice from own spouse, try to make the best out of each other with available resources, if there are not sufficient resources, then plan and earn for it, save money, produce kids, give them good values, this should be the midset of each married couple.

Going court, going to parents back crying, complaining for etc etc, going to police station, threatening to file case, etc will only finish marriage and nothing else.

If one cannot handle the pressures of married life, then better not get married, why spoil some persos life?  Stay single.

But for the experience that I have, I would not suggest both boys and girls to stay single, give it a shot, people join jobs do toughest of jobs and succeed, marriage life is also same like a job, you need to give in your best and keep giving your best, then definitely marriage will be a success, life will be beautiful.  If you dont give your best and only expect the best from your partner, marriage will be failure, and of course endless litigation begins.

Think swift, act fast.  Do what you want to do now, be the change that you want to see in your partner.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register