LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Viraj Shah   24 July 2022

Stamp duty paid but registration not completed since 16 years

My parents bought a landlord-owned(pagdhi) property in 2006. We have the tenancy agreement and a copy of the stamp duty receipt. When we went ahead with the registration, the registration office said that they had paused the registration because of collector land issue. In 2012, we got an adjudication of stamp duty done with pending stamp duty as 0. Sometime recently the registration was open but after following up from 2006 to a few years later my father gave up until recently. He was told by a local lawyer that he needs to re-pay the stamp duty and create a new agreement as of the current date. This seems ridiculous as we bought this property 16 years ago. We also have copies of 30000 checks we issued multiple times for the registration fees but we are denied. Now when the registration is open, how do I go about finishing this last step. Do I need to re-pay the stamp duty and create a new tenancy agreement?

Learning

1 Replies

Swadha   13 August 2022

Stamp Duty once paid can be used on the document for 4 months. If 4 months have expired, you cannot use the stamp duty.
In order to use the stamp duty for registration, you are required to present the document with a stamp duty challan to the concerned registration office. Registration charges differ as per the type of document you wish to register with maximum charges of Rs. 30000/-

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register