Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

pinto (sec)     29 April 2012

Save the trees pls advice

HI All,

I am not sure as to which category i need to post this. i need immidieate help with regards to the trees in my locality. we are located in north of mumbai, our area is going for a road widening project. the municipal authorities never gave us any idea about when the Rl was passed. they say it was passed in 1998 till now they did not do anything about it. so many housing societies came up after 1998 and the municipal authorities never stopped them then. mow all of a sudden a notice of seven days was served to all the societies asking them to demolish the compound wall so the road widening would commemce.

the societies go tto gether replied to the notice and had meetings with the Deputy commisioner, there hearing is still pending. and now the MCGM came up with a one day notice that they would be demolishing the walls.  as they said they have demolished the compound walls of all societies except one as that society managed to get some political influence. no compensation is paid to any societies, till date.

now the MCGM is going to chop off the trees. they say they will not be chopping of all the trees. but i fear that they eye the teak trees which are in the society. these teak trees have good commercial value. if any one there can please help me know

how to protect these trees.

what precautions should i take to protect them.

how would i be able to know the laws that will help me

regards

thanks

pinto

Learning

2 Replies

(Guest)

get stay order in environment interest as well as public interest in civil court wiythout dely.

OR

File an complaint before SDM for stop the said construction.

enclosed video of said place. disclosed all facts how it is in public/environment interest.

Advocate B. M. (Advocate)     02 May 2012

Alongwith the court protection, the Maharashtra Tree Preservation and Protection Act will help you.

To cut the Trees, even the Municipal body has to follow the procedure and get the sanction from the Tree Authority.  Also file an RTI to find out if such procedure has been followed.  One of the procedure is to past a notice on the tree that is to be cut and call for objections and deal with them in accordance with law.

It is apparent on the face of what you have stated that such procedure has not been followed. It will be easy for you to get a stay under the circumstances.  Also take help of the media. The media is very prompt in helping on such environment issues.  This will also put pressure on the authorities and stop them from taking the law into their hands. What you need to save the trees are tha hands of the law and environmental activism.

All the best.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register