Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

sushma kumari   03 December 2023

Registration of lease agreement required to file injunction suit?

My NGO has a 11 month lease agreement with a landlord for use of his property which has been annually renewed for the past 6 years. His sisters have filed a partition suit against him and obtained preliminiary decree against him. He has obtained stay from Appellate court. The sisters are now forcibly trying to evict us. My question is:

1. Should I notarise and register the lease agreement for us to file an Impleading Application in the ongoing suit or a fresh Injunction Suit against the sisters?

2. Will notarising and registering the lease agreement invite contempt of court for the landlord?

Learning

2 Replies

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     04 December 2023

The sisters cannot force you to vacate the premises, if at all they have any grievances in this regard, they have to approach court with an eviction suit against you.

You can refuse to vacate and if the pressure is mounting, you can file a separate suit for injunction against them to restrain them from forcibly eviciting you other than by due process of law. 

sushma kumari   04 December 2023

But Sir, to approach court or to file an injunction suit, should I get the lease deed notarised and registered?

Will this invite contempt of court for the landlord as the partition suit is ongoing?

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register