LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Venkat Narayan (Developer)     04 July 2014

Public utility services at fault

Public utility services in the public sector like say  Indane Gas, owned by Indian Oil Corporation, are providing Online services in a peculiar fashion.

That is their website offered online booking  for refilling the domestic gas cylinders. The service used to work well for some time. 

But the last time I booked online and waited quite long for my cylinder, I contacted the customer care, to get  a reply that Online services are temporarily down. And that my last booking has been lost. In the meantime my consumer number has been de-activated and  now, I have to go through the formalities of a re-connection, which includes a payment, due to the time lag of non booking a refill in  three months.

I have had a similar experience with LIC of India, when the SMS alerts offered by them stopped functioning  and my Anmol Jeevan policy lapsed due to non payment. Also, I was not even informed about the lapse of my policy.

How can these public sector institutions implement services in a half hearted way and get away with it without any  remorse or accountability, by passing on the damages to the lone customer?

Is there a legal remedy that I can avail?

regards

Nataraj S Narayan

Learning

1 Replies

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     05 July 2014

In both the cases you have problems not with the concerned sectors but within you. If you have not followed up with the gas agents after that, you cannot blame the sector for its fault.  Similarly, LIC is not bound to remind you about the premium payment, since it is a recurring payment with no difference in premium amount, you should have been alert on the subject instead you are coming out complaint against the mammoth organisations which if properly viewed, doe not deserves any reply at all.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register