LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Kriti Mishra   11 January 2016

No share for my deceased father in grandfather's property

My grandfather expired in 2014 at an advanced 90+ age (we do not have clear idea about his exact birth date) and left behind a wife and 8 children (5 sons and 3 daughters), since then my grandmother has expired too. My own father, his son, expired in 2000. Soon after he (my father) died, other 4 remaining sons conspired and created (together and separately) wills that disinherited my father or his legal heirs (me, my brother and mother) from the entire property. They are claiming in the will, through my aged and ailing grandfather, that my father's own residential property, registered under his name and later sold by us in financial difficulty after his demise, was actually paid for by my grandfather. Therefore, my father and his legal heirs are not to be given any share and stand disinherited. 

The remaining four sons have not been on good terms within themselves and have at different times (2002, 2003 and 2013) since my father's demise have created multiple wills favouring themselves all signed by my grandfather. All these three wills categorically exclude us from any share in the property. One more son has passed since then (2012) and his widow has been allotted a hefty share in all the properties, singling out my mother as the only daughter-in-law who was not awarded anything. Only one will in our possession from 2000 (made two months before my father's demise) gives my mother some share in two of the listed 8 properties. All disputed properties are self acquired by grandfather.

My question is- what is our legal standing on challenging the will/s ? Which one should be challenged? What proof should I offer (I do have papers proving my father's house was under his name and not my grandfather's property)? Can I challenge a registered will that has all my grandfather's self acquired property and if yes, then on what grounds?

Learning

0 Replies

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register