LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Abdul (N/a)     10 February 2014

Legal age for marriage

I am 19 years old, am in love with a girl from USA. We want to get married this year...abroad. Religious and civil. 

The legal age to marry is 18 over there, India is 21... So would my marriage be valid in India? She will then sponsor me as husband and .... So will immigration have any problem accepting my marriage? 

Will it consider valid in india? 

Learning

3 Replies

Hi there, 

I contacted civil office where my marriage will take place.... it is 18 for both gender (M/F). 

I will get married religiously and legally...so i will have nikaah(islamic marriage contract) and the government legally recognized paper. the marriage will be registered in Usa... I will have both marriage certificate... 

We will have reception mehendi/walima etc...

My question was, if marriage take place abroad which is legal...would this also be recognized in India?  or will be annulled because the legal age in india? 

May i know what sources you got this info? Doesn't sound abt right. Cuz we spoke to marriage commissioner...at the civil stat office.   

If a country legal age is 18...and we got married in that country.  is the marriage recognized in india?

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     10 February 2014

If US laws permit the marriage and is legally valid, the marriage is considered to be valid in India too.  She is a foreign citizen and you have married her legally as per the rules governing that country, I dont think you should have any problem in India in that regard.  Further as per Muslim marriage law in India, both the spouses should have attained puberty, that is minimum of 15 years of age.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register