Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

munni (house wife)     06 June 2022

Issue with the insurance policies under national insurance company

Dear Sir,

My brother was an agent in the National Insurance Company (GIC), where he was authorized to register motor policies through the UB portal. However, in last year's financial year he did something wrong. That is during login, he has mis-declared some of the policies, i.e during registration of heavy vehicles, somehow his team has wrongly declared it as a light motor vehicle. Seems to be all those attempts were performed to help the customer to save the premiums. Now after one year during their audit the authority found that there is serious mismatching and sent a letter to my brother for issuing "wrong/fraud policies" and now GIC sent notice to pay back around 15 lakhs premium loss incurred to the authority, or else the company will take legal action against my brother. Till now my brother managed to pay back around 3 lakhs to GIC but they are continuously sending notices to pay back the full amount, or else they will impose police/court proceedings against my brother. 

He is a small agent and it is impossible for him to pay back the amount. Now my brother is helpless and undergoing mentally imbalance to recover that huge penalty. All the clients now are not turning up to pay the difference amount for the previous year. Certainly there seems to be some mistake from my brother's side, but at the same time we seek some advice to respond to the GIC. Please assist in this regards, 

1. During policy purchase, the login system (website) never shows any error message or to rectify that the details  entered in the system are wrong. This is one type of misguide due to the improper login system and now we cannot become victims to repay the entire amount. We make GIC as equal responsible in this matter, by not maintaining a stringent system to correct during only registration.  

2.  We offer 50% payment to settle the matter. But GIC has denied and asked to repay the entire amount or else they will proceed for legal action.

3. By reading through the internet, this may be a criminal proceeding and can jail upto 7 years. How can we overcome this problem?

4. Is there any other way to get rid of this matter? If recovery is the only option, then he has to sell his small parental property to recover or else face consequences from the legal options. 

Your advice will be very helpful for us. Thank you in advance. 

Learning

2 Replies

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     07 June 2022

You can not expect meaningful guidance, as members can not judge the motives of your brother's action.  Contact a local advocate.  It appears not an insurance agent can not differentiate between Heavy and light motor vehicles and wishes to throw the blame on such systems for his mistakes.  Such justification as you are aware can never convince a prudent person.  Before the issue is complicated including filing of a criminal complaint on facts, take early action to rectify for honorable exist.

SIVARAMAPRASAD KAPPAGANTU (Retired Manager)     17 June 2022

Your brother to quote your own words "performed to help the customer to save the premiums". This is completely wrong as it amounts to deceiving the Insurance Company which employed your brother as its Agent and therefore, your brother has to face the consequences.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register