Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Pratham (student)     17 January 2024

Gift deed or sale agreement

Hello Experts,
My Parents have a flat in Navi Mumbai.. Mom and Father.. Co owners.. Father has taken a loan against proeprty in 2021. but now he is not able to pay emi. He want me to pay loan and take ownership of property.. Mom also ready. plz suggest What would be the best way to transfer property.. Sale agreement or Gift deed?? i m not taking bank loan.. Gift deed can help me to save some money.
but i have a doubt..if paying loan amount will be treated as consideration??
2nd can i make sale agreement with father and gift deed with mother. is it possible??

Learning

6 Replies

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     17 January 2024

During the pendency of home loan neither your parents can be able to transfer the property to your name by any mode i.e., by gift or sale deed or any other mode nor you will be able to acquire the property in a legally valid manner..

If you are desirous of getting the property transferred to your name, then you can repay the home loan through the borrowers, after which the bank will release the title documents and will issue a discharge certificate duly registered in the name of the borrowers..

In the meantime you can execute a loan agreement with your parents for the money you gave them to discharge the loan and on that basis they can transfer the property to your name by a registered sale deed.

If there was no loan on the property then they could have straightaway transferred the property to your name by a gift deed.

1 Like

kavksatyanarayana (subregistrar/supdt.(retired))     17 January 2024

Very well explained by the expert Sri T.Kalaiselvan Sir.  follow his advice.

1 Like

Rama chary Rachakonda (Secunderabad/Highcourt practice watsapp no.9989324294 )     18 January 2024

Gift Deed is a document that transfers property to another owner as a gift. A Gift Deed is valid only when it is without any consideration in return by one family member/ friend to another. It is mandatory to register Gift Deed, according to Section 17 of the Registration Act, 1908.

1 Like

Pratham (student)     18 January 2024

Thank you for reply. 2 query.

1) Suppose if i give loan to parents and they pay that amount to bank and clear dues. After paying bank loan,will they able to transfer property as a Gift to me. any legal issue in it??? This way..gift deed valid or not??

kavksatyanarayana (subregistrar/supdt.(retired))     18 January 2024

Yes.  It is ok and valid.

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     18 January 2024

The property retrieved after discharging the home loan, becomes your parents' own and absolute property, hence they can very well transfer the same by a registered gift deed or registered settlement deed or even a registered sale deed.

Other than the sale deed  no consideration amount can be received for transferrring the property by a registered gift deed. ,

Hence you may have to collect the loan amount separately 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register