Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Easy jurisdiction - family court/district court ?

Page no : 2

Sameer12345 (SSE)     15 February 2012

This is the case where Woman has committed bigamy. She is at her fault. 

She can be punished for maximum 5 years in jail. 

DV will be quashed if filed.... 

Husband will be consider innocent since the beginning. He can’t be prosecute for DV case... 

READ AUTHER'S ISSUE CAREFULLY.....

1 Like

Chaitanya_Lawyer_Mumbai (Lawyer)     15 February 2012

I do feel it should be quashed....but legally....

Her husband can file for bigamy against her,punishment will not be so severe considering they had done divorce agreement,only that divorce decree was not obtained from the court.

She cannot be at fault for being subjected to domestic violence in her second marriage.

As the second husband was aware of her marital status,he cannot be expected to be free to treat her with domestic violence. 

DV will not be quashed just because it was a case of begamy,it may be qushed based on merits of the case.

2 Like

Sameer12345 (SSE)     16 February 2012

Originally posted by :Chaitanya_Lawyer_Mumbai
"
I do feel it should be quashed....but legally....

Her husband can file for bigamy against her,punishment will not be so severe considering they had done divorce agreement,only that divorce decree was not obtained from the court.

She cannot be at fault for being subjected to domestic violence in her second marriage.

As the second husband was aware of her marital status,he cannot be expected to be free to treat her with domestic violence. 

DV will not be quashed just because it was a case of begamy,it may be qushed based on merits of the case.
"

Chaitanya_Lawyer_Mumbai

You are definitely going to suggest to File DV case on Author to the women involved in this thread if she will approach you…

Ask yourself, Is this fair for the man who is unnecessarily involved in Court matter? It is women's duty to verify the divorce document which is obtained from her first husband.

Here the man brought a wife into his home, later he found that she is not his wife in the eyes of law. (What is the use of women in his home when court thinks that marriage is not valid). She is criminal.

Let me give you simple example which will make you understand the situation.

You have invited a guest to stay in your home in your home unknowingly that the guest is a thief/murderer Or The guest came to stay in your home.

Later on somehow you found the real identity of the guest.

In such situation what would you react?

The real scene would be the same guest is expecting coffee/food/dinner/lunch from you!!!!!!

This Guest being man/women has any rights to ask for the same thing from the owner of the house??????

Instead you will suggest the guest to leave home…….

Author has done the same thing…. There is no incidents of Domestic Relationship between Author and Women as per his saying…. He even didn’t ask the women to leave the house, She has left the home by her own will many times…

I request all the lawyer not to suggest women to file DV case at first instance without judging the matter to save time of many people (Court/Women/Man/Child/Parents of  both Man/women). Being a lawyer you will get the money, You will get the business But the money earned by making people suffer will not give you good. 

2 Like

Chaitanya_Lawyer_Mumbai (Lawyer)     16 February 2012

Hi Sameer,

I am not here to solicit business.

You can go through my past replies to such queries,morover i do have been approached by women to resolve their issues by mails,i do have suggested them not to initiate any criminal proceedings.

let me know your mail address so that i can forward the same to you,if required.

You seems to be under wrong impression that i am suggesting women to file such cases.

I am here to guide people regarding legal aspects,maybe my reply made author aware what he could expect.

After you first reply,i did wrote (...but legally...),so that you can understand what i mean,but you do not seems to have that much intelligence.

2 Like

Hi Sameer,

You have mentioned,

It is women's duty to verify the divorce document which is obtained from her first husband.

Here the man brought a wife into his home, later he found that she is not his wife in the eyes of law. (What is the use of women in his home when court thinks that marriage is not valid). She is criminal.

So do you mean it was not husband's duty to verify if he is entering into a valid marriage?is he not criminal for offences of IPC 496,497?

For your information,Thousands of people in rural india do get divorce by such procedure & marry someone else.

1 Like

497 states that, Sexual intercourse  without the consent or connivance of that man (Previous Husband)...The so called previous husband here has released all his rights on the women in the Divorce Deed, There is an agreement between them, which allow the women to do anything what she wants. 497 will be quashed…

496. states that, Whoever, dishonestly or with a fraudulent intention, goes through the ceremony of being married. Who is dishonest here? Who is going through the ceremony of being married? Husband has dissolved the marriage through court. Wife will be consider already married here. Who is married again. 496 will be quashed…

Give some light if something is missing above.

1 Like

@ Sameer

You yourself have mentioned she has commited bigamy in your previous posts,that itself shows you do not accept legality of such a divorce deed.So both 496 & 497 will apply.

Now you yourself have not mentioned important points here.

497. Adultery.--Whoever has s*xual intercourse with a person who

is and whom he knows or has reason to believe to be the wife of

another man, without the consent or connivance of that man, such

s*xual intercourse not amounting to the offence of rape, is guilty of

the offence of adultery, and shall be punished with imprisonment of

either descripttion for a term which may extend to five years, or with

fine, or with both. In such case the wife shall not be punishable as

an abettor.

496. Marriage ceremony fraudulently gone through without lawful

marriage.--Whoever, dishonestly or with a fraudulent intention, goes

through the ceremony of being married, knowing that he is not thereby

lawfully married, shall be punished with imprisonment of either

descripttion for a term which may extend to seven years, and shall also

be liable to fine.

2 Like

A case will be fought on its merits. Bigamy 494/495 and Section 497 are different sections.

Let’s talk about section 497 here only:

A person who is and whom he knows or has reason to believe to be the wife of another man, without the consent or connivance of that man

>> Man himself was in an impression that women is her wife, and she is not wife of another man at the time while making s*xual intercourse

1 Like

Let’s talk about section 496 here.

knowing that he is not thereby lawfully married

>> Man himself was in an impression that women is her lawfully divorced, and His marriage with this women is lawful marriage.

Marriage ceremony fraudulently gone through without lawful marriage.--Whoever, dishonestly or with a fraudulent intention, goes through the ceremony of being married

>> Whoever here is the Women, The marriage become fraud because of Women is not legally divorced.

1 Like

As already explained, It was husband's responsibilty to make sure that wife is not somebody's legal wife before going through marriage ceremony.So 496 will apply to both.

It cannot be assumed that at the time of s*xual intercourse, he was unaware of divorce laws & after separation from her,he became aware of divorce laws.

He is studying marriage/divorce laws only for getting divorce / annulment?

Why he could not do the same before marriage?how the marriage got registered without her valid divorce?

he must have performed temple marriage,if he had tried to register this marriage,he would have come to know the laws then only.

1 Like

After Separation, Man was supposed to file RCR...

But due to it is not lawful marriage, He cannot file RCR. It can be filed by lawful husband/Wife only.... 

Man has to study law to bring her wife back home. Not for divorce. It is good that man himself studied law Otherwise his application would be rejected at first instance or later on.

Register office is not authorized to check validity of documents. 

1 Like

Great.....After separation man was supposed to file RCR...

Why he wished to show intention to take back such a cruel wife?

Why a person who himself was having valid divorce decree(after going through at least 6 months of court process),check if his would-be wife is properly divorced?

Why he could not ask his lawyer if it is a valid divorce deed?

Who told you register office is not authorized to check validity of documents?

Go to any registration office & mention any of you as divorced,before registering your marriage they will ask for divorce decree & if it is not there,they will send you back.

However You can register marriage as unmarried without any proofs. 

Do you have similar personal issue?

1 Like

Shantanu Wavhal (Worker)     16 February 2012

I am here to guide people regarding legal aspects,maybe my reply made author aware what he could expect

Chaitanya_Lawyer_Mumbai is correct.

A case will be fought on its merits.

Sameer12345 is also correct

thank you all for ur valuable guidence.

1 Like

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register