LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

shweta (student)     23 December 2013

Division of inherited property

Hello Sir, I urgently need you help.......

Grand father (deceased) has a house in chawl in Mumbai.

Has 2 sons and  daughters

Current Status : Eldest son staying in the house, and his stay is being supported by all  daughters, and they all demand that the house shall be transferred in the name of Eldest son. 

But here the Second son i.e My Father, has not being consulted and was called in the office of the chawl, in order to sign the transfer of property papers (as the chawl is due on redevelopment). When my father protested such an act, the manager of chawl stated that, "You do not stay in the house, and whosoever stays in the house the property shall be transferred in his name.

Before this my Father had submitted 2 letters in 2005 and 2013, stating that the property should not be transferred in anyone's name without my consent, being one of the son of the property owner.

My father has not signed any papers yet, but it seems that they are totally ignoring the application letter submitted. This has been a disputed property since 8yrs. I honestly  need your help sir, inorder to find out what are the possiblities in this case......

Please help me sir........thank you and waiting for your reply........please tell what can be done......

Learning

4 Replies

Laxmi Kant Joshi (Advocate )     23 December 2013

As I understand your grandfather had died without making any will , and his eldest son is living in that property and now wants to transfer the property in his name by the support of his two sister and ignoring your father , i suggest you in your case no body can claim as owner of the property the procedure is that all the four members including your father have to get legal heir certificate and then transfer their share in their name if your bua wants to give their share to her elder brother then they can transfer their share in favour of their elder brother by making release deed , the whole property will divide into 4 parts and each member is entitled for 1/4 share , if you find any irregularities can be happened then take help of a lawyer.

Ashok gupta (Advocate)     23 December 2013

joshi sir gives you valuable suggestion...

(Guest)

Mr Joshi:

In my husband's case, he was staying with his aunt who has a flat in Mumbai. He looked after her till she died last year. Earlier his aunt had written her eldest daughters name in the share certificate. However, two years back she wrote a will and nominated all her 6 children including my husband who is her nephewhas the legal heir to the flat. Now my husbands 6 cousins are trying to transfer the flat amongst them including my husband as well. They have prepared a documents which is Appendix 18,under the bye law no.34,, appendix 17 under bye law 35 which is an application for membership by the heirs to the society, then there is a common form no.4 which is under bye laws 19 iv, form number 26 and  under bye laws 19 vii,20 iv and 40(d)(ix) and finally and affidavit cum declaration wherein the previous nominated sibling is stating that she has no objection to transfer the shares amongst the balance siblings including my husband. I wish to know is the documents mentioned above sufficient to protect my husbands share? Are there anyother documents required?

One of my lawyer friend was talking about form 14 and 16. What is this required for? Also I wish to know how does the legal heir protect their share and ensure their family gets it in case of an untimely death of one of the legal heirs?

Please guide.

Regards,

Lin

Prem Iyengar (ABC)     30 December 2013

Hello Mr.Joshi,

I was willed a piece of land by my late father. My late father had acquired the land. I have 2 sons, one of whowm is married but has no children yet. I plan to sell the land now. Can the proceeds be deemed to have come out of ancestral property?

Regards,

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register