Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

sunanda (student)     02 December 2013

Cruelty from my husband

Hi all,
  My husband left me at India, and run away.. then he filed RCR, and just before we are supposed to submit our show cause notice, he withdraw the case and filed divorce..staying apart around 1 and half years..
After he filed divorce, I filed 498 case against him and his family.. No arrest so far..We have proof that we transferred (from my uncle's account to  my husbands account), Rs. 1 lakh as dowry amount..They demanded 5 lakhs .. but as my father did not able to pay, so after that he was giving mental and  physical torture to me..

As he implemented tremendous cruelty to me and my family, so can he get punished like the recent judgement by Mysore court?

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/bangalore/Army-officer-parents-jailed-for-dowry/articleshow/25516391.cms

Learning

4 Replies

fighting back (exec)     02 December 2013

Hi all,
  My husband left me at India, and run away.. then he filed RCR,

you might have refused to go back with him, how will you prove that he ran away? if you claim he ran away, on the contrary, you should have filed RCR, not him

and just before we are supposed to submit our show cause notice, he withdraw the case and filed divorce.

what other grounds are there placed in this divorce petition? 

.staying apart around 1 and half years..

in the one and half years that passed, what effort did you make to join him back, were you silent? if yes ...why? if not...then what did you do? 

After he filed divorce, I filed 498 case against him and his family.. 

if you stayed apart since the last one and half year? and you claim that cruelty was meted on you, prior to the one and half years, why did you not file 498 after cruelty was caused?

why did you file 498 only after he filed for divorce?

No arrest so far..

was FIR filed,  did police investigation take place? did counselling take place in the police station? 

We have proof that we transferred (from my uncle's account to  my husbands account), Rs. 1 lakh as dowry amount..

you claim that the amount is dowry...is it written anywhere that it is dowry? he will very well say that it was a amount dilberately transferred for marriage expenses from your side, marriage expenses is not considered as dowry......according to anti dowry laws, since you claim to have given dowry, you are an offender too, giving and taking dowry, both is an offence, so you too be prepared to go to jail......;)

They demanded 5 lakhs .. but as my father did not able to pay, so after that he was giving mental and  physical torture to me..

As he implemented tremendous cruelty to me and my family, so can he get punished like the recent judgement by Mysore court?

so summing it all up madam, your query is stinking with revenge, and just to take revenge you have filed a 498 case against him, i am sorry madam, but in my personal opinion,, yours is a loose case which will fall apart like a pack of cards you stink with revenge..........

Adv. Chandrasekhar (Advocate)     03 December 2013

Engage a good advocate and file a case under Dowry Prohibition Act.  Giving dowry by the girl or her father or relatives is not offence.  The Courts have been continuously giving decisions in this regard.  I attach two files for your and your advocate's ready reference.  In the case of Pooja Saxena case, even after Delhi High Court judgement, it appears the husband appealed in Supreme Court and lost the case.  Warm regards,

Attached File : 683350768 pooja saxena dp act.pdf, 683350768 yashpal kumar dp act..pdf downloaded: 149 times

(Guest)
Originally posted by : sunanda

Hi all,
  My husband left me at India, and run away.. then he filed RCR, and just before we are supposed to submit our show cause notice, he withdraw the case and filed divorce..staying apart around 1 and half years..
After he filed divorce, I filed 498 case against him and his family.. No arrest so far..We have proof that we transferred (from my uncle's account to  my husbands account), Rs. 1 lakh as dowry amount..

No fool would receive 100 rs or 1 lakh rupees as dowry that too by the way of account transfer, wire transfer, cheque, or DD.

The opposite party will always have alibi like this in your case as they have received cash via bank transfer, and in the pass book the entry wont show as Dowry Given.  So your case wont stand even if you accused them of receiving dowry.  That too you have transferred such amount via your uncle's account who is a third party to the marriage.

Secondly, giving dowry is as much a offence as receiving it, both are punishable by law and the quantum of sentence is the same for both.  So if somehow they are proved that they demanded dowry, then both of them be ready to go to jail.

.They demanded 5 lakhs .. but as my father did not able to pay, so after that he was giving mental and  physical torture to me..

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/bangalore/Army-officer-parents-jailed-for-dowry/articleshow/25516391.cms

Regarding above case, there is always a chance of party going for appeal in HC.

Regarding the 498a that you have put on your husband and company.. you look like you dont want to continue with this person anymore.  It is better that you let go off this relationship and take divorce ie Mutual divorce from your husband and look for someone else who is more compatible.  You will be wasting a good 5-7 years behind this 498a case, during which time you cannot marry someone else and roaming to court will be the main work for you, which wont yield anything.  Even the aforesaid case in which some Lt, Colonel has been found guilty has taken a good 5 years to get over.

"APP S Shivakumar said Renuka, daughter of Marilingaiah, a resident of TK Layout, was married to Shashidar at a choultry in Bangalore in December 2001. "

"Renuka, a resident of Mysore, had filed a case of dowry harassment against husband Shashidar and her in-laws in 2009 at Mysore women's police station."

"Army officer, parents jailed for dowry

Nov 9, 2013, 08.49PM IST"

So from 2009 - 2013 = 5 precious years the girl has lost which can never be gotten back.  

Apart from all this, if your 498a case does not stand, there is a very good chance of you spending a good 5-7 years behind bars for lying under oath and for filing false affidavit in the court of law.  

So good luck.

1 Like

stanley (Freedom)     05 December 2013

The conviction rate in 498 A cases is negligbile due to large amount of false cases being filed by women . For an offence to be proved the fact that dowry has been received has to be proved . Hence if the fact that dowry has been received has been proved than vice versa the fact that dowry has been given is proved.

As per the acts of law both taking and giving dowry is an offence and i would disagree with our women sampathetic friend Mr Chandu  who takes a one sided view for women . When one is unhappy with the trial court judgement the next stage is sessions court , High court and than supreme court . There are so many cases were a flaw as per law has taken place as they go up to appelate  courts Every case is unique and runs on its own merits . read this article below .

Bride’s father in the dock as city court says giving dowry is also an offence

In a rare judgment, probably the first for the Karkardooma courts, a sessions judge has ordered the prosecution of a man, who allegedly gave dowry to his daughter's in-laws at the time of her marriage over two years ago.

In fact, it was his daughter's complaints and multifarious criminal cases against her estranged husband and his family that have spelled legal trouble for Yashpal Kumar.

Married in December 2006 to Ram Khanna, Kumar's daughter Rita left her matrimonial home a couple of months later and approached the Crime Against Women (CAW) cell, with the complaint that her husband and in-laws were torturing her.

Subsequently, her husband and other in-laws were booked under the charges of atrocity and harassing her for dowry in an FIR. She also filed a maintenance petition before a magistrate.

One common allegation in all her complaints pertained to how she was ill-treated for bringing insufficient dowry despite her father having spent over Rs 8 lakh in meeting the dowry demands of her husband and his father. While Rita made this particular accusation, she could hardly imagine the legal trouble it would bring to her father.

Khanna's father also moved the court, asking if they were to be prosecuted for demanding and receiving dowry, how could Rita's father wriggle out of the charges of giving dowry, which is also an offence under the Dowry Prohibition Act?

After the magistrate trying Khanna and his kin found no substance in the plea and dismissed their complaint, Khanna's father approached the sessions court in revision of the impugned order. The petition filed through counsel Sanjay Gupta and Manish Shrivastava claimed that all they were pleading for was a fair and just view of the issue. As Khanna and his parents were standing a trial for receiving dowry, Kumar, according to the rule of law, should also undergo the judicial scrutiny of a court under the said Act, contended the counsel. They said that the request was based on Rita's own version before the magistrate.

Additional Sessions Judge Sanjay Sharma found favour with the counsel's arguments. "On considering the entire trial court record, I am of the opinion that the contents of the FIR and the maintenance petition filed by Rita, clearly discloses the allegation that her father gave dowry on the alleged demands of Khanna's father. Since under The Dowry Prohibition Act, giving of dowry is also an offence, therefore, he is prima facie guilty," said ASJ Sharma.

Allowing the revision petition, the court then sent the matter back to the trial court, directing it to summon Kumar under Section 3 (penalties for giving/taking dowry that can go upto a five year jail term) of the Act and examine him under the relevant criminal procedures. Notably, the order follows a Rohini court's order last month asking the police to register an FIR against a bride and her kin for giving dowry.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register