LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Rohit   06 March 2017

Courier agency - accepted courier without address and mobile number of sender

A courier agency (in his regular course) accepted a small envelope (Regular letter sending envelope) without the phone number and address of the sender. Subsequently, the receiver complaint that the letter contained bad words addressed to him. He holds the courier agency guilty for accepting and delivering letters without the mobile number and address of the sender and sued them. Is this justifiable ground to sue a courier agency ??

Learning

5 Replies

(Guest)

You tell what was in that cover.

Pawan S (Advocate)     06 March 2017

Have you tried to find the sender's details from the courier company. As per my concern, they maintain these details in their record.

Involving into litigation is not worth, until and unless you have left with no other option. As it is a time consuming matter. 

First raise the concern/complaint on the issue in front of the courier company.

Then, even if, you feel that they are not entertaining your complain/not helping you with the resolution, then you can lodge a complaint against that company in a consumer court near you.

Just to note-

If you get to know the sender’s details like address & mobile number. How will it ensure that it is the same sender who has sent you this letter. Think!! 

Rohit   07 March 2017

Thanks for your reply.

I am represnting the courier agency.

What if in the normal course of business all the courier companies accepts the envelope without any address or mobile number.

Also, I have referred to the post office gudielines stating that senders name, address and mobile number is required for sending precious items, coins, negotiable instrument etc. Even post office do not recommends or made it compulsory to seek the address and the mobile number of the sender of letters, inland letters, post cards etc.

Request you to please guide based on any reference material of law/case laws etc.

Regards,

Rohit

(Guest)

As a courier collecting agent/agency You need to collect address and phone number from the peson who is sending courier.  This is mandatory for the following reasons,

1.  Proof of delivery.

2. In case the cover contains information which is related to Court proceedings.

If the sender had to simply abuse as per your message to me via PM and not reveal his identity to the reciever, he could have posted the same via ordinary post via Indian Postal Service.

You have wronged by accepting a cover/article which does not have senders name or address.  The reciever may sue you in court of Law regarding the same for the insult caused to him via the letter which was sent through your courier agency. 

VIVEK REDDY   05 November 2020

Two days back I was harassed verbally by a delivery boy from ST couriers for denying to give my mobile number at the time of delivery.. 

I do not understand how people could ask for someone's mobile number with the least concern for their privacy when in today's world a majority of bank transactions are done through the mobile, and this act of demanding someone's mobile number is similar to asking their debit card number..

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register