LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Anmol (Sr. Executive)     25 September 2011

3 months notice without buyback

On June 6, my Ex-employer implemented the 3 months notice period unilaterally. With the Unilateral amendment they also added a clause to the employee policy.

i.e. Not with-standing the contrary company reserves the right not to accept the salary in lieu off and force the 90 day notice period if it is a business need.

My VP promised me an early relieving if i do a smooth transition.

I served 58 days out of 90 of which they blocked my salary. On 59th day my manager signed my No dues form stating –“Client related of boarding process is done.” Whereas my AVP refused to relieve me saying that i need to serve the full 90 days notice.

My original employment agreement has 30 days notice with salary in lieu off.

On day 60 i shifted to my new employer which has accepted me only with a resignation acceptance letter. My Ex-company threaten me of sending a termination if i didn’t report by 'day 65.'

Today is day 100 i have so far neither received a termination or relieving letter from the company.

MY QUESTION:

Can a company unilaterally modify an employee agreement in the name of  employee policy?

Can a company force a 90 days notice without buy back?

Can i be terminated when my resignation is accepted  i.e in this scenario?

What legal action can be taken against the company ?

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

I had a 2 year bond with the company ( INR 2,00,000 ) which was graded (i.e. reduced with time ), i am ready to give the money. At the time of resignation i only had 4 month notice( INR 33,000) to be given to company.

Presently company holds my 70 days salary, PF of 1.75 years, Paid Leaves, which all amounts to over 1 lac.

Learning

1 Replies

Kumar Doab (FIN)     25 September 2011

The change in any condition of appointment letter is not valid if it is not accepted by you in writing. The company can claim up to notice pay if the employee exits. Employee can not be forced to work. Employee should complete tasks on hand and should not leave any room for company to change for causing loss. One should proceed under the wise and expert advice of elders, experienced and competent well wishers, and lawyer/law firm. Service bonds have become a trend. Employee should stay away from companies pressing for bond. If good employers are in scarcity so are good employees.

Employee should take care before joining and signing the bond. If the employee does not commit a blunder in the end employee usually gets the relief.

In your notice of resignation you should mention effective date of resignation and that you are willing to tender notice pay @! Basic pay/gross pay as accepted by you or suitable and acceptable to you. Let the company reply to you in writing. Refuse to accept verbal comments. As per your original terms of appointment you need to tender 30 days of notice.

Demand by letter thru registered post addressed to appointing authority, MD, Head HR, Company Secretary, acknowledgment of notice of resignation, acceptance of resignation, F&F, settlement of a/c and payment of dues by bank DD thru registered post only, Form 16, PF accumulation reports, PF transfer/withdrawal forms, work experience certificate, relieving certificate, NOC/NDC etc so as to be supplied to you say within 15 days. Mention that VP...........knew good work done by you and committed smooth exit and requested for smooth transition which you honestly did and satisfied business need of the company. Whereas deputy of VP coerced you to serve a 90 days notice period which is not applicable to you and is illegal demand. Paid leaves are included in F&F.

Company may delay relieving letter but can not deny issuing work experience certificate.

For unpaid wages you can lodge a complaint with local o/o labor commissioner/wages inspector.

PF can not be withheld. It is advisable to transfer the PF than to withdraw it. After 10 years regular PF a/c you are eligible for pension.

You can contest the bond. You may show all your docs and record to your lawyer.

1 Like

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register