LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

(Guest)

Paralytic brought to HC in handcuffs,in maintenance case

SOURCE - https://www.bangaloremirror.com/article/10/2011042020110420232249593a4266567/Paralytic-brought-to-high-court-in-handcuffs.html

Unable to stand for long, he sat down on the courtroom floor as the judge heard his appeal against payment of maintenance to estranged wife

GS_googleAddAdSenseService("ca-pub-8048660860005691"); GS_googleEnableAllServices(); GA_googleAddSlot("ca-pub-8048660860005691", "MM_ROS_468x60_Top"); GA_googleFetchAds();

A jailed husband did what no one has ever done in the high court of Karnataka. Mohammed Khaleel sat on the floor in the courtroom of Justice K N Keshavanarayana because a paralytic stroke had left him unable to stand for more than a few minutes at a time.

He has spent the last four months in prison for his failure to pay maintenance to his wife. On Wednesday, prison authorities brought Khaleel to court for a hearing.

His counsel, G K Mohan Krishna, who is also the Central government standing counsel, said, “He is not in a condition to stand upright even for a few minutes, let alone run away. But, I came to know that he was brought in handcuffs.”
Within minutes of entering the court, Khaleel requested permission to sit down. Since all the seats were taken, the court officer told him to sit beside the book racks. Khaleel sat down while the constable accompanying him continued to stand guard.

Khaleel's counsel told the court that he was having a difficult time in prison as he had been put up in the regular barracks despite his physical disabilities — the right side of his body is paralysed.

The court said it would pass an order after the lunch recess. But, that was not to happen, as the court wanted to hear Khaleel's wife's version before arriving at a conclusion. Khaleel has to wait for the summer vacation to end in the high court before hearing in his case resumes.

CASE HISTORY
In March 2010, Mohammed Khaleel, 45, had been ordered by a court to pay Rs 10,000 per month to wife Noor Mohsina, 27, as maintenance and Rs 5,000 a compensation. However, Noor demanded Rs 30,000 per month stating that Khaleel earned Rs 80,000 per month from his vehicle hiring business.

Khaleel appealed in a fast track court, which reduced the maintenance to Rs 5,000 per month.

However, Khaleel suffered a paralytic stroke after the separation from his wife. It left him unfit for work and he failed to pay the monthly maintenance.

As a result, he was sent to Parappana Agrahara prison on January 3, 2011. He has challenged the order of the lower court in the high court of Karnataka.

His s advocate Mohan Krishna said, “The lower courts had not discussed the ailment part of the issue. We are hopeful of convincing the high court that his condition makes it impossible for him to be in prison.”

Speaking to Bangalore Mirror outside the court, Khaleel said, “My ailment is a major source of trouble in prison. It is nearly impossible to be there with such a condition. Even when I was outside, I was unable to earn for the last three years because of my health condition. My mother is taking care of my needs and those of my two children.”

His mother would visit the prison every week to give him his medicines. On Wednesday, she saw her son outside prison for the first time in months.

Learning

4 Replies

Om Prakash Dhusia (HR assistant)     03 May 2011

Ms.Meenal Bahadur: if it is a news and true then I feel pity on that  judge for being cruel to a human being because judges are not suppose to be Executioners but again remember this is India and we have an paper tiger organisation but hungry for publicity, a Human Rights Commission. Mr.Khaleel can approach them but I doubt as to whether this man would ever be considered a HUMAN by HRC because he is a common citizen and no any poliician, smuggler,Film personality or a don and no such Swami's Like Swami  Agnivesh would come forward to take up his case.

I am not aware of systems in other civilized nations but saw in the video clippings, accused seated like others throughout the court proceedings in USA and my home country has still to learn civilization.

I would further suggest to kindly approach the honorable Supreme Court against this inhuman judge but who will depose against this erring inhumane judge.Would you be willing to do that Ms.Meenal so compassionate a soul?

Sorry dear Meenal, we are Indians.

Alas- God can only help us all Indians.

Arup (UNEMPLOYED)     03 May 2011

sad news

the main question is -

why handcaff to a paralysed person, when handcaff is almost banned.

Om Prakash Dhusia (HR assistant)     03 May 2011

Dear Arup.at least your conscience has awaken to raise question as to why a paralytic human was subjected to be handcuffed in the court which has been banned by the Apex Court but  the society as a whole remained impassive and none of the civil liberty volunteers came forward to help this helpless human being and none of the intellectuals,none of the people present in the court including the hyper active irresponsible media highlighted this inhumane behavior of a High Court Judge but I must thanks Ms.Meenal Bahadur to atleast brought this episode to the knowledge of LCI intellecuals but has any one suggested the recourse?

How to bring that cruel judge to task? How to eradicate such un-civilized practice of a judge simply because a judge is immune to any action? Are we in a civil society or in a jungle Raj?Comeon guys are we so insensitive to such sensitive issues?

Alas.

1 Like

(Guest)

True, its against huiman rights. How can a man who cannot maintain himself, maintain his wife ?. Instead should she not be asked to maintain her husband who is suffering from paralysis ?

But I can understand, for some people money is more important than this man's rights as a human being.

This news is so horrible and actually shameful for Indian society which encourages harassment of people in the name of the so called pro-women laws of this country. I think we should stop calling ourselves democratic. Souverign, Democratic, republic does not suit anymore, it should have been "maintenance for greedy women republic"

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register