Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

(Guest)

How do iget bills for services from a freelancer?

i am launching my own website soon.

i hired a freelance designer because companies charge very high rates which dont suit me.

her fees is Rs. 15,000.she works for a gurgaon company,but is designing for me privately.she says she works as a freelancer regularly.but i met her for the first time and dont know her previous clients also.

my questions:

1. how do i get any bill or invoice from her for the payment,as she is self employed and DOES NOT OWN any company?I also dont know her home address and telephone nos.I only know her mobile no.

2. what is more practical?Giving her 50% of the settled fees,or giving her only a small booking amount,like,Rs. 1000 initially and wait till entire work is done,before paying remaining 14,000?

3. what kind of paper shud i use where all the services she will provide me will be mentioned specifically.?

4. what if she tells me she will take 50% initially otherwise she will not work for me?i cannot afford companies' rates which are unaffordable.

please advise..

thank you

Learning

3 Replies

Tajobsindia (Senior Partner )     10 April 2011

@ Author

The best practice here is to meet any payment by Cheque. In futre any disputes arise your instrument can always be traced to her bankers and then her Jurisdiction address can always be brought on record for any legal action.

2. Besides above practice hire services of any freelance prof. via "referral" only just bze via referral all these que. could have been solved before hand.

3. The general practice in such prof. works PO is 20% at the time of giving Po for approving template, 40% at the time of work start once template approved and balance at the time of uploading / handing over scriptts files to you to your staisfaction.

4. Ask her to give you Word File Bill wherein her name / address / cell no. is mentioned and all your cheque nos. are mentioned stating towards webdesigning services. Mostly she is supposed to give scope of work with tech. platforms she is using and features of website etc. and time line of scopeof work but she may not give as she seems to be part time freelancer for extra bucks and in such case ask for few references of hers and seek their satisfaction reference for her which is equally a sort of peace of mind.  

However, via PM to tajobsindia@gmail.com send her name n cell # I may help.

1 Like

(Guest)

Thank u very much sir.as suggested by you,i am following your advice and asked for invoice and a written contract.

she sent me an invoice by e-mail on microsoft word document,that mentions her home address,mobile no.,two e-mail IDs(one of them was used to e-mail me this invoice),account beneficiary name(her name),Acct no.,bank branch(in delhi),bank name,and IFSC code.it also mentions the contract's terms and conditions.

however this invoice does not have her signature.

she said i should send her the money through online transfer or through bank deposit,to her acct. details.

although she gave her home address,there is no add. proof.once when i asked her for the same,she said she has the add. proof of her hometown which is in kolkata.(where she lived before marriage)

1. is transferring the money thru online transfer or account deposit better,or shud i insist on cheque payment only,which u have advised?

3. should i insist on a signed invoice,or invoice sent by e-mail is good enough?

4.is there any way to find out from her address what her landline nos. are?

thank you again

Tajobsindia (Senior Partner )     13 April 2011

@ Author

is transferring the money thru online transfer or account deposit better,or shud i insist on cheque payment only,which u have advised?
Take: As far as no breach of contract both methods are proof of payment by you to a service provider. One does instant debit from your account and another mode takes 2 – 3 days so not much of difference there is
J  

2. should i insist on a signed invoice,or invoice sent by e-mail is good enough?
Take: Again so far as she delivers the finished website as per terms and conditions she spells as per annexure to the said Invoice the Invoice seems to be a digital Invoice and if it contains her contact details it is valid till any controversy / breach happens. 

3. Is there any way to find out from her address what her landline nos. are?
Take: If it is landline say of MTNL you can check MTNL Delhi's online directory and find out yourself if both tallys or not. If it of pvt. provider it is not traceable till any breach happens. 

As addendum it seems you are worried of your hard earned money probably going to vanish if transferred and no wedbsite delivered by her to you accordingly, So in that case I still suggest to fix on some instalments  payments schedule on deliverables basis like in first reply I suggested and also any freelancer may always provide previous customer contact and if this is her first freelance work then you are her first customer in which case go by safe payment linked with deliverables basis as mentioned in my first reply.  Your money is safe and she is keen to deliver in time not take ages to do it once all money recived in advance.

Ok, I still see you hesitant well in that case do another thing if you are so aprehensive of all these freelance things. Load on your PC Teamviewer software. Click on https://teamviewer.com/en/index.aspx it is remote access free software which connects both of you in real time across borders. Ask her that you will initially pay 20% as advance and she shall show you few design templates and more work she finishes the part payments could be meet accordingly. Use this Teamviewer application (once launched it generates password and that is to be shared over tel. call to her) and you can view the templates on her PC and once you approve the design later work done by her on your website can also be viewed by you via Teamviewer without you making a trip to her home to see physically your freelanced work if time / distance travel related is another issue here. Anyhow even if you donot pay balance the work she did she can’t upload to hosting site servers without you sharing hosting password and if she defaults only the payment that you paid is gone so in cases where such deals takes place some trust needs to develop between parties. Or seek appointment and visit at her provided address and iron out such differences in person if time / distance suits you.

Try it if any more issues faced I may advise some more doable using my last 3rd. bandwiddth as additional help. But I suppose things shall be all right.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register