LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Aditi (Manager)     17 March 2011

Validity of a notarised will which has no witness

I am in the process of purchasing a property. The current owner received this as an inheritance through a will from her paternal uncle. The said will is notarised by a notary and the signature has been further identified by another advocate. Other than the notary and the advocate the will has no other witness. The will was made in 1999 in Bangalore and is unregistered. The municipal record and other legal papers have been duly transferred in the current owner's name in 2004 based on the will.

The Bank's legal cell has raised a query that since there is no 2 witness signature this can make the will vulnerable and asked us to get a NOC from all the living members as per the family tree. The sellers are not willing to get the NOC.

My question is is the will invalid - inspite of being notarised and signed by an advocate - just because there is no general witness?

In case we cannot get a NOC from  all the living members what is the other alternative to sort this out?

Learning

4 Replies

Arvind Singh Chauhan (advocate)     17 March 2011

Notary and another advocate who identified the executor are also witness of the will. I don't think that will is invalid.

1 Like

Advocate Rajiv Mishra (advocate)     27 March 2011

in the absence of 2 specific attesting witness no document is said to be a will ,the notery is of no value and other advocate can be treated only as scriber and its role comes very after when othr witness became hostile or dead.The will must signed by the executer in presence of 2 witness and must be proved by atleast 1 witness.

SANJAY KUMAR SRIVASTAVA (n/A)     29 March 2011

this will be treated as null & void and has no meaning or validity.  the will should be registered in registry official, then only it is validated.

SANJAY KUMAR SRIVASTAVA (n/A)     29 March 2011

this will be treated as null & void and has no meaning or validity.  the will should be registered in registry official, then only it is validated.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register